Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Those that have 2.5" lift running 35's - Please Post Pix

Old 05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snatchpeterman
Wayoflife, How wide are the tires on that Jeep? VERY NICE BY THE WAY!! My tires are 12.5" but actually measure a little less and are a little less than 35" tall so I think I'll be OK but the guys at the shop keep telling me the lift won't work for shoes that big.......I see it done everywhere though.....just like the above pictures.

Am I making a mistake??
Thanks - the tires you see are 12.50's and for whatever it's worth, no tire manufactured measures up to the size stated on the sidewalls. In fact, virtually every single one made is smaller to some degree. As far as fitment goes, it will fit just fine and your shop is probably going off of old TJ experience. So no, you wouldn't be making a mistake.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I confirmed with several people at the dealership that if you lift it more than 2.5" then none of the suspension parts or related components will be covered under warranty. I don't have MUCH of a problem with this but I sure would like to have a 3" or 4" for when I finally decide to get rowdy with it and get full use of that disconnecting sway bar!! With 35" tires and a 2.5" lift....I bet I'll be a little disappointed with my suspension travel.....what do you think?

IF I CAN GO 3" or 4" WITHOUT VOIDING THE WARRANTY.....SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME......I'M ABOUT TO MAKE A HUGE MISTAKE IF I ( the guys at the dealership) AM WRONG!!

Thanks Guys!!
Now think about this for a minute, at 3"-4", exactly what components will you still have that is factory and would actually need to be fixed under warranty?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help and pix, WOL and RRR. I plan on running a wheel with 5"bs (along with 35 in tires), what would the tires most likely rub if they did rub? Thanks again guys.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default here's a kicker

I confirmed with several people at the dealership that if you lift it more than 2.5" then none of the suspension parts or related components will be covered under warranty. I don't have MUCH of a problem with this but I sure would like to have a 3" or 4" for when I finally decide to get rowdy with it and get full use of that disconnecting sway bar!! With 35" tires and a 2.5" lift....I bet I'll be a little disappointed with my suspension travel.....what do you think?

IF I CAN GO 3" or 4" WITHOUT VOIDING THE WARRANTY.....SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME......I'M ABOUT TO MAKE A HUGE MISTAKE IF I ( the guys at the dealership) AM WRONG!!

Thanks Guys!!

No Joke....now I have to buy an old kit off ebay or something. My rims have red inserts and I have lots of other red accents so red coils are a MUST!! Who else makes red coils?? Anyone?? Any other 2.5" lifts with all red components?
this will throw ya a bit. my jk rubicon sports a five inch skyjacker lift in red no less installed from the dealer. and believe it or not, in writing, they had to cover it because they installed it before the sale. basically if you get it from them, they have to comprably cover any repair. because i was worried that the aftermarket doodads would void it out. so they highlighted in the warranty were it had been installed and that it was indeed covered. i guess it made the 40k i was spending a little easier to do. by the way i have already sheared off the track bar bracket while wheelin'and they had no problems fixing it. you can check it out in myprojectjk member galleries
Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Now think about this for a minute, at 3"-4", exactly what components will you still have that is factory and would actually need to be fixed under warranty?
The same thought crossed my mind but this is my first jeep and I don't know what all they mean when they say "suspension and related components". Does a lift replace everything I would need to worry about.

How much of a lift is the new Rancho Sport? It accomodates 35"s so I'm guessing 3"-4" since most manufactureres don't reccomend 35"s on a 2.5". I think Rancho is what I'm going to order today.....the components are red and if I have nothing to worry about with the warranty, it seems perfect. Anyone have anything bad to say about the Rancho kit?

Colonel....sorry if I've invaded your thread but I have the same aspirations and concerns. Good Luck with yours!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

some of you guys are insane with the warranty stuff. don't always believe what people say, especially if they are trying to sell you something.

most of the 'or it will void the warrany' talk is followed by 'unless you let us sell it to you and install it'. that sounds suspect to me.

unless the dealer and/or manufacture has it in writing that a modification will 'void' the warranty then you are in the clear. so make them show it to you and you should also be the responsible consumer and read the warranty before signing the contract.
now if you put on a 4 inch lift and 37's don't expect any of the aftermarket parts to be covered or if you blow and axle shaft to be covered (if the extra stress from the tires cause the failure, questionable). however if your headlights stop working or your roof leaks or your cd player stops they will be covered under the warranty (unless otherwise stated in the warranty).

this is the line you have to be careful of:
Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided.
i think the word 'void' is not correctly used around here. dealers can't 'void' your warranty unless you break the specific rules. they can refuse to honor a claim if they have proof that is not covered.

bottom line is do the research yourself by sitting down and reading the fine lines.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus
Thanks for all the help and pix, WOL and RRR. I plan on running a wheel with 5"bs (along with 35 in tires), what would the tires most likely rub if they did rub? Thanks again guys.
If you do have rubbing, it will be your front tires making contact with the sway bar and/or control arms at a full turn. But, this can be easily fixed by adding a washer or two to your steer stops.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

The same thought crossed my mind but this is my first jeep and I don't know what all they mean when they say "suspension and related components". Does a lift replace everything I would need to worry about.
With the exception of drive lines and axle shafts, a good and complete lift kit will. But then, any problems you have with your drive lines and/or axles will be a result of running bigger tires and not a result of running a 3"-4" suspension lift.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by koolhandkc
this will throw ya a bit. my jk rubicon sports a five inch skyjacker lift in red no less installed from the dealer. and believe it or not, in writing, they had to cover it because they installed it before the sale. basically if you get it from them, they have to comprably cover any repair. because i was worried that the aftermarket doodads would void it out. so they highlighted in the warranty were it had been installed and that it was indeed covered. i guess it made the 40k i was spending a little easier to do. by the way i have already sheared off the track bar bracket while wheelin'and they had no problems fixing it. you can check it out in myprojectjk member galleries
Nice! I guess I don't have that option since the sale is complete right? What size tires are you running?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
With the exception of drive lines and axle shafts, a good and complete lift kit will. But then, any problems you have with your drive lines and/or axles will be a result of running bigger tires and not a result of running a 3"-4" suspension lift.
Do you think the Rancho Sport kit will do the job in replacing all the parts I need to worry about?

Also, there is a kit from SkyJacker that is an add on to their lifts with red replacement bars and stuff. If used on a Rubicon, will this affect any of the features the Rubicon has with the disconnecting sway bar and such?

Originally Posted by tjworld
this is the line you have to be careful of:

i think the word 'void' is not correctly used around here. dealers can't 'void' your warranty unless you break the specific rules. they can refuse to honor a claim if they have proof that is not covered.

bottom line is do the research yourself by sitting down and reading the fine lines.
That is the statement that has me worried and I just thought all you guys would already know what Jeep has to say about the warranties and mods. I figured it was common knowledge except for me so I guess I need to go read up.

Last edited by Snatchpeterman; 05-09-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Those that have 2.5" lift running 35's - Please Post Pix