Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Those with D60's

Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
If you have a stock type suspension setup, going with one that works with an artec swap kit will make things a lot easier for you.

I went with a 2005+ D60, which is pure beef. However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan to get a rear axle too as it is significantly wider than the stock JK axles.
It's going to be a process. I will probably end up swapping them at the same time, but have more concerns about the front than the rear.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

You can pick one up for around $600. I went newer and low mileage and paid $750, but then don't have to replace any worn parts. Already has time rings, so a minor adjustment and it works with electronics. Beyond the axle, the only cost would be brackets and if you want gears/locker. And, a lot of elbow grease to get it cleaned up.

What ratio normally came in them?
Old 02-04-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Artec makes a swap kit for it now, so it is actually pretty easy to make it work with the JK. .
This is very cool... By the way, the tone ring on the ford has 55 teeth. I am not sure if anyone has built a 52 teeth option for that axle. They do have options for the 04 60s. So if you don't go to 52 in the front, it will not match a rear JK axle. At this point, you will want a rear sterling to match or figure out how to put a 55 teeth ring on the rear of your 44. And as others have said, the 8x170 bolt pattern will be an issue as well if you don't use a ford rear axle.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

If you have a stock type suspension setup, going with one that works with an artec swap kit will make things a lot easier for you.

I went with a 2005+ D60, which is pure beef. However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan to get a rear axle too as it is significantly wider than the stock JK axles.
It looks like the spring mounts on the artec are one piece with the truss. Can you confirm that? If I eventually switch to a coil over then I don't want to start with a blank canvas again... But for $4xx that seems to be like a hell of a solution.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

just one last thought... I don't know if stock control arms will leave enough clearance for the greater turn radius. If anyone has experience with that would be good to know.

I am fixing this... the tooth count is 60. I used a tooth count from the back tone ring and trusted the ford guy. Appears that was a bad call.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 09-28-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waldo_88
It looks like the spring mounts on the artec are one piece with the truss. Can you confirm that? If I eventually switch to a coil over then I don't want to start with a blank canvas again... But for $4xx that seems to be like a hell of a solution.
Depending where they fall could be a great bump stop pad?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

There should be enough room to fit a link for a coilover. Worst case, you have to do some very minor fab to that end of the truss. However, if you can TIG or know someone who can, use some Ni55 or 99 and then you can weld part of a coilover bracket to the C and you would have plenty of room.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
This is very cool... By the way, the tone ring on the ford has 55 teeth. I am not sure if anyone has built a 52 teeth option for that axle. They do have options for the 04 60s. So if you don't go to 52 in the front, it will not match a rear JK axle. At this point, you will want a rear sterling to match or figure out how to put a 55 teeth ring on the rear of your 44. And as others have said, the 8x170 bolt pattern will be an issue as well if you don't use a ford rear axle.
Easy fix for the bolt pattern if someone didn't do the rear axle right away. Use some spacer adapters. Then the rear axle will be closer to front in width and you can use a 8x170 bolt pattern.

Anyone upgrading just a front is going to have a bolt pattern issue.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

So, speaking of 60s, how is your build coming invest2m4?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

You can pick one up for around $600. I went newer and low mileage and paid $750, but then don't have to replace any worn parts. Already has time rings, so a minor adjustment and it works with electronics. Beyond the axle, the only cost would be brackets and if you want gears/locker. And, a lot of elbow grease to get it cleaned up.

What ratio normally came in them?
Options are: 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30. So, if you have not regeared, you may be able to make it work for a while without regearing.

One note though, this axle is hella heavy. Like, I use an engine hoist and a helper to move it around. I think a stock front axle is around 200 lbs? This is north of 400 lbs. You won't break it though. Not sure what older D60s weight, but obviously less.

Quick Reply: Those with D60's