Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Third row seat in a JK

Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third row seat in a JK

Anyone put a third row seat in a JK unlimited? Was thinking about figuring out a safe way to put a seat for my son in the very back. 3 small kids in the 2nd row is hard to do. Any suggestions and pics would be great.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Teraflex bracket kit and installed a third row from a 2-door. It works and looks great. Haven't taken pics yet.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great option if you need it!!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can you use the brackets from a 2 dr or do you need something special? How about seat belts. I have 3 little kids that are in car seats and booster seats. I would love to see some more pics and know how hard they were to install.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JSavage
Can you use the brackets from a 2 dr or do you need something special? How about seat belts. I have 3 little kids that are in car seats and booster seats. I would love to see some more pics and know how hard they were to install.
You need the brackets from teraflex which are pretty simple to install. Then the rear seat from a 2-door and you're set. The factory rear seat has latch attachments, so car seats go in easy. For bigger kids you can use a lap belt, which I don't like or a 4-point seat belt which can be attached to the seat. When I was at Teraflex the other day I saw an Unlimited with 3 car seat in the "middle" row and two in the third row. Works great and is easily as safe as the back seat of a YJ. When I don't plan on having the kids all loaded up I pull out the third row and hang it from some hooks on the wall of the garage. It's nice to have the option of fitting the whole family in both vehicles.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed lap seat belts and attached them to the seat itself. I'm going to look into a 3-point harness for them though.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

just FYI...the rear seat brackets from a 2003-2006 TJ will also work to mount a 2DR JK rear seat in and Unlimited JK. I had my 2005 TJ rear seat mounted in my 2009 JK Unlimited. When i traded the TJ in on a 2010 2DR JK, i did some looking, and i was able to use the same brackets to mount the 2010 rear seat in there. Just had to move them back about 1/2". Check "DaveysJeeps.com" for the brackets.....cost me $45 to install a third row.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great idea in theory but good luck with the poor kid in the back keeping him warm or cool.... even in the backseat of a JK the HVAC is lackluster...

and if you are riding with the top down wouldnt you newed to be concerned about exhaust right at the very back of the JK?

-Christopher
Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
great idea in theory but good luck with the poor kid in the back keeping him warm or cool.... even in the backseat of a JK the HVAC is lackluster...

and if you are riding with the top down wouldnt you newed to be concerned about exhaust right at the very back of the JK?

-Christopher
I figured I would put the kid I liked the least in the back. If I do it I won't do it much but it would be great to have the option if needed. Also will a TJ seat fit or do I need a JK 2 dr? Again thanks for all the responses.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo

-Christopher
It's no closer to him than it is to the occupants of the rear seat of a 2 door.

To the OP, a TJ seat would fit, but be smaller than a JK seat, which will also fit. Teraflex makes the brackets for the seat for less than $200 bucks. Although you might be able to source junkyard parts for less. It is pretty much plug and play.

Quick Reply: Third row seat in a JK