Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Third brake light removal??

Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third brake light removal??

Is there a way to remove the third break light cover? And if so, is there a way to do it without removing the spare. Thanks guyS
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly are you trying to do?

The easiest is to remove the spare, then remove the tire carrier and disassemble the 3rd brake light post from the carrier. Then mount the carrier and spare. I'd check your local laws for running without a 3rd brake light, unless you're relocating it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just removing the cover? Im pretty sure its glued some way into the housing like the brake lights? Heat gun and a slow pry to get it apart?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

so what's the plan when you get the brake light cover off?? what you trying to do?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The light unscrews from the bracket. (4) screws. The arm is made onto the carrier. I cut the arm off of mine and used the AEV light. You can see more out the rear without it. The new light changed the way the back looked. The carrier is cast aluminum so it cuts very easily.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

The nerd in me is putting a batman decal on the inside of the third brake light. So it glows the batman symbol
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Smith,

I found this writeup when looking to do something similar.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ht-mod-194571/

I've got the smaller brake light mounted inside my spare like in this article, but I kept the stock light housing in place. I'm currently looking for an aux light that will fit in that existing housing (with minimal modifications) to use for an additional reverse light.

And in my experience, the original brake light lense is glued into the housing. Applying heat did not release it and I cracked the lens in the process of removing it. That didn't bother me since I already have the other third brake light in place and working fine.

Good luck! And if you DO get it off without breaking it, let us know how you did it.

Nick

Quick Reply: Third brake light removal??