Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Third brake light advice

Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Move you license plate to the spare like I did using a Rock Hard 4x4 relocation bracket then you can use a ORO Plate Lite. It has an LED 3rd brakelight plus a LED (looks like HID) license plate light. All for around $80 through 4wd.com, 4WheelParts, Quadratec or Northridge.

Install thread including wiring codes...https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/rock-hard-license-plate-relocation-bracket-oro-led-platelite-install-xrc-bumper-90672/

Running light only....

Just the plate light illuminated...

The LED brake light plus the plate light....

Brake light only....

Everything illuminated....

And some daylight shots...

Thats a pretty sweet setup..
Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I think that I am going to go with the teraflex unit, I dont like the one that came with the smittybilt bumper.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

JPTwinz...irronically, a buddy of mine had one the same setups as you have just lying around in his shed........and i was able to pick it up for the right price of FREE When I pull the old license plate holder off, is there plug that gets put behind it ????

Last edited by Marshall; 03-22-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Move you license plate to the spare like I did using a Rock Hard 4x4 relocation bracket then you can use a ORO Plate Lite. It has an LED 3rd brakelight plus a LED (looks like HID) license plate light. All for around $80 through 4wd.com, 4WheelParts, Quadratec or Northridge.

Install thread including wiring codes...https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90672

Running light only....

Just the plate light illuminated...

The LED brake light plus the plate light....

Brake light only....

Everything illuminated....

And some daylight shots...

God the same setup on mine and everyone always asks where i go the light. east to wire and super bright
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default VA 3rd Light Law

I was just reading VA laws the other day and ever car since (if I remember right) 1986 has to have a 3rd light in the commonwealth of VA or else you will fail inspection or get a ticket if a cop sees it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MrMoJo
Check your state law but I'm guesing it's not required. Thinking of cutiing mine off.
This is not a state by state law.
In 1986, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mandated that all new passenger cars have a third brake lamp installed.
Required on all new light trucks and vans starting in 1994.

That said, it's one of those things that you'll rarely get in trouble for.
I don't have one now, but I figure sooner or later I'll get a warning or a "fix-it" ticket. Until then, I'll keep running as is.

Although, if you get rear-ended and the guy behind you makes a fuss, you might be found liable for the accident. Something to at least think about.

Last edited by horwitzs; 03-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta go with JKTwinz choice!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice jeep!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marshall
JPTwinz...irronically, a buddy of mine had one the same setups as you have just lying around in his shed........and i was able to pick it up for the right price of FREE When I pull the old license plate holder off, is there plug that gets put behind it ????
Yes, there is a plug that fills in the hole left behind. I have the part number in my install thread. It costs about $13 from you Jeep dealer.

Quick Reply: Third brake light advice