Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking of Upgrading to Rock Krawler 3.5 entry kit from RC/have questions

Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of Upgrading to Rock Krawler 3.5 entry kit from RC/have questions

I currently have the RC 3.25 kit which gave me about 3 inchs in the front and just under 2 in the rear. I am running 305/70-17 Goodyear MTRs which measure slightly over 34 inches. My tires fit with no rubbing.

However, I would like some more belly clearance since I still get hung up more than I would like on the cross member so I am thinking of upgrading to the Rock Krawler 3.5 entry level lift after another forum member recomended it to me at a jeep jamboree.

I am planning on running my current shocks that I have from Rough country for a year and then getting longer ones. I plan on running front stock control arms for a year or two and then get adjustalve in front to correct castor. I am going to upgrade to Tom woods rear shaft when I install new springs. I will get rear upper adjustable control arms to correct pinion angle.

Does this plan sound good? Any potential problems with it? I am in the early stages of planning am wondering if I am going in the right direction.

How much lift does this kit give on a 2 door?

Will my front shaft be ok? I have 6 speed manual. Any other springs I should be looking at that fits with my goal?

Thanks for guidance.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

bump for thougts and opinions
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of going with a whole new lift, have you instead thought about the JKS ACOS?

I've thought about that myself as a possible upgrade path. Not sure what I'll do personally, but I haven't thought about it too much.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Instead of going with a whole new lift, have you instead thought about the JKS ACOS?

I've thought about that myself as a possible upgrade path. Not sure what I'll do personally, but I haven't thought about it too much.
I would cost more to go that route and I still would have sagging springs. I am pretty sure I need to updgrade the springs to something else. This is no offense to RC, I think there stuff is fine if u dont start adding heavy stuff but my winch and bumper r making the front sag, even with the an additonal spacer to level up front, Istill have rake.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

any other thoughts?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should send RC an email addressing your concern about their lift sagging that bad, and then see if they will take any money off of their new 3.5" kit. It looks alot better than any of their previous products, and is set at a decent price already.
Thats if you're interested in trying their 3.5" kit and sticking with rough country.

As for Rock Krawler, i love my 2.5" kit. i'm pretty sure it lifted me at least 2.25" all around, maybe 3" in the front. And it rides well, even running stock shocks on extensions. I think their 3.5" kit would be perfect for 35's. Your front drive shaft might be an issue hitting that skid during alot of articulation, other than screwing up that driveshaft boot it wouldn't be that bad.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
I think you should send RC an email addressing your concern about their lift sagging that bad, and then see if they will take any money off of their new 3.5" kit. It looks alot better than any of their previous products, and is set at a decent price already.
Thats if you're interested in trying their 3.5" kit and sticking with rough country.

As for Rock Krawler, i love my 2.5" kit. i'm pretty sure it lifted me at least 2.25" all around, maybe 3" in the front. And it rides well, even running stock shocks on extensions. I think their 3.5" kit would be perfect for 35's. Your front drive shaft might be an issue hitting that skid during alot of articulation, other than screwing up that driveshaft boot it wouldn't be that bad.
Thanks for the input on ur lift. They seem to be quality springs. I am not sure RC would send me new springs, they have sagged but I did install heavy bumper and winch on front. I just dont think they r designed for such a heavy front end. I have heard that Rock Krawlers springs are very good, and that is what is attracting me to them. Plus, as long as I am planning to replace the rear DS, I may as well get a higher lift which will be nice offf road. My main concern is whether or not my RC shocks are going to be long enough.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Upgrading to Rock Krawler 3.5 entry kit from RC/have questions