Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

thinking of upgrading control arms

Old 12-24-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

reading Chuck's saga on the other site he has had his fair share of things going wrong
Old 12-24-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
reading Chuck's saga on the other site he has had his fair share of things going wrong

Anyone want to PM me that?
Old 12-24-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by decoy5657
I'm curious about this. What size bolt do you (did you) have in the RK bar? Was it torqued properly to 125ft/lbs? I can see this damage happening if the bar was banging back and forth putting stresses on the brackets they were not designed for.
All my track bars and control arms (minus front upper) are grade 8 9/16-18 3" bolts.
They are also all torqued to 125 ft lbs.
Not entirely sure what you mean by the bar banging back and forth, but if you're referring to the misalignment of the bar it has a heim joint on the axle side and a "krawler" joint on frame end.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
I have Synergy, MetalCloak, and JKS products on my rig so I'm not particular to one mfg.
Me too... all suspension and steering related as well... along with Artec and LetzRoll, again, just in suspension/steering.
My opinion is that no one manufacturer has the "mack-daddy" setup, so I mixed up with what i believe to be the best for my requirements.
Guessing you are in the same boat.
I did not mean to offend you with my assessment earlier and make you feel the need to defend your purchase.
We all buy what we buy for different reasons, I was simply letting folks know why spherical/Johnny Joint and the MC/Synergy joints are designed the way they are.

Take care all and have a merry Christmas... I'm off to a seasonal party.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
All my track bars and control arms (minus front upper) are grade 8 9/16-18 3" bolts.
They are also all torqued to 125 ft lbs.
Not entirely sure what you mean by the bar banging back and forth, but if you're referring to the misalignment of the bar it has a heim joint on the axle side and a "krawler" joint on frame end.
It's common that folks have a not-properly-torqued 14mm bolt in a 9/16th track bar (like the RK that you and I both have). If it's loose, it will slap/bang back and forth as your suspension does it's thing putting stress on the bracket you had to re-weld.

Maybe I missed the point earlier by not understanding the details. - Why do you think your mount broke?
Old 12-24-2016, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested in your RK joints...
Old 12-25-2016, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

MC are not maintenance free. They recommend greasing them once a year. It's actually more of a PITA than just regularly shooting some grease through a zerk with your grease gun.

I run MC joints on the axle end, and Synergy DDB on the frame end of all my control arms. Dey r very naize tho...
Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
All my track bars and control arms (minus front upper) are grade 8 9/16-18 3" bolts. They are also all torqued to 125 ft lbs. Not entirely sure what you mean by the bar banging back and forth, but if you're referring to the misalignment of the bar it has a heim joint on the axle side and a "krawler" joint on frame end.
We all know Chuck wheels like this
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=nDtoKknFyH0
Old 12-26-2016, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

That was an impressive run.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
That was an impressive run.
His name is Steve Oaks. All his runs are like that.

Quick Reply: thinking of upgrading control arms