Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking of Running 38's

Old 03-28-2016, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Dirtman, how do you find the patience for these posts ? LOL I saw pics. of your new home and shop, exellent ! What does it take to get into that shop of yours and have you work wonders on my wagons suspension ? oh, and I have a pair of ARBs in the garage, and skid plates ?, and a bunch of other stuff ? lol
Old 03-28-2016, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agadawg1717
When you say lots of maintenance... 5000 miles, or 20000 miles... Or does that depend on how I drive it and where I take it?
This is different for everyone. Some of the components in the stock axle just aren't designed for that load. Some people will blow through the tiny ball joints in less than a year and others will upgrade once and be done. It's not a matter of not wheeling hard and your good, it is a different formula for every jeep and every driving style (on road and off). Just know that moving to 38x14.5s open a whole new can of worms than the 35x12.5s would ever cause.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I Not planning to go wheeling hard enough to destroy axles.
You don't need to wheel at all. One pothole or curb can be all it takes, as many previous posts here have indicated. (Not saying it's a huge widespread problem, but it happens.)

Stock tires, running up onto a curb at low speed to avoid an accident. And ... snap.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-help-161915/

Read through a few of the hundreds of threads on beefing up the front housing. Whether or not you put money into it is up to you, just a suggestion to at least have that research in your mind when you are deciding on your build, instead of 'nothing will happen if I stay on pavement...'
Old 03-28-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

One of the biggest issues is that unless you are running 6"+ of lift you are going to need around a 3" bs wheel plus 1.5" adapter in order to half enough room to steer the rig. Its not a question of wheeling it is a simple matter of fitment. Ditto makes a 38x13.5 that is easier to fit and you will find people running 38's will run that tire because it is easier to fit.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by dahreno
Dirtman, how do you find the patience for these posts ? LOL I saw pics. of your new home and shop, exellent ! What does it take to get into that shop of yours and have you work wonders on my wagons suspension ? oh, and I have a pair of ARBs in the garage, and skid plates ?, and a bunch of other stuff ? lol
Feel free to stop by, I still want a ride in that wagon. I am just off Timberline.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info! I continued to do some more reading last night and decided that if I'm. Going todo something like this I need to go the right way this time... Also didn't find a real good reason to run 38's (40's at this width) instead of just a 37/12.50. There is still beefing up I need to do for a 37 but I won't get me into the weird backspacing and spacers. I think I'm going ton stick with my 35's for now and get it geared properly. Then I'll go to a 37 so time in ten next year or so.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info! I continued to do some more reading last night and decided that if I'm. Going todo something like this I need to go the right way this time... Also didn't find a real good reason to run 38's (40's at this width) instead of just a 37/12.50. There is still beefing up I need to do for a 37 but I won't get me into the weird backspacing and spacers. I think I'm going ton stick with my 35's for now and get it geared properly. Then I'll go to a 37 so time in ten next year or so.
Gear for 37's since you plan to go there in the next year. 4.88
Old 03-29-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You don't see people running those tires for a reason, if you are going to do the work to fit 40's why not run 40's. The only advantage to run those tires is if you need the wide footprint for mud or snow flotation and you don't need as much gearing. 40's push the gearing on JK with the stock drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Running 38's