Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking I made a mistake!?!?!?!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking I made a mistake!?!?!?!

I traded my 13' 2dr soft top for a 14' 2dr hard top. For the first 8K miles of the 13's life it spent doorless. Also topless when weather permitted. Living in Illinois rain could pop at any moment. When spring hits I want to take the top off and leave it off til it get's cold again. I am hoping a bikini top will give me the same protection the standard soft top did. So here is my questions....

1 - What is the best top (ease of instalation) for the $$$$$$? I like the sun on my face but need to put something on quick when it rains. (Like pull over because it's started to rain quick)

2 - Am I going to regret getting the hard top?

3 - If I take the back of the hard top off can I put the freedom tops back on?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look for trektop nx on craigslist. I live in Illinois and I found one almost new for 350. I run no windows almost all spring and summer (so basically a bikini). I wish had a hard top for the winters like were havin now.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Bestop Bikini Tops, Duster & Windjammer at Morris 4x4 Center®
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Why spend all that money? Just use your factory soft top. Remove the windows and keep them in a roll-up bag strapped to your rear roll bars in case you need them. That way, you still get the open air feeling in front by flipping back the Sunrider, but in case of rain, just lower it and you have full overhead coverage. Of course, you can always throw the top all the way back on the days when you know it's not going to rain. Am I the only one that does this?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott2373
Why spend all that money? Just use your factory soft top. Remove the windows and keep them in a roll-up bag strapped to your rear roll bars in case you need them. That way, you still get the open air feeling in front by flipping back the Sunrider, but in case of rain, just lower it and you have full overhead coverage. Of course, you can always throw the top all the way back on the days when you know it's not going to rain. Am I the only one that does this?
take it you didn't read his post...
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can remove the back part of the hardtop and run the freedom tops.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olram30
take it you didn't read his post...
i was thinking the same thing
Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Yes, you can remove the back part of the hardtop and run the freedom tops.
this ^^ I run this way from march to nov. I also have the bestop dust cover for like $100 or something. works great when parked or driving. its not water tight of course so some water will still get in the cockpit but a couple of towels in the back is always handy if the seats get splashed. I also like the bestop bikini top. its nice when you want the top down most of the time and don't want to waste storage room in the back for the freedom tops. I roll mine up and slip it in the back hardly even know its back there.

Quick Reply: Thinking I made a mistake!?!?!?!