Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

thinking of building SARGE's bumpers.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by northsidejeepin
I'm more interested in what the turn signals are! Maybe missile launchers?
They are military blackout lights, for driving in convoy in complete darkness. Headlights and marker/parking lights are off, but these blackout lights give you just enough light to make out that there is a vehicle ahead or behind you when in convoy.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
I want to know where to get those shackles.
They are military grade JATE (Joint Air Transport Establishment) rings. I'm sure an extensive search could yield you a part number, or at the very least something comparable.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by awndray
They are military blackout lights, for driving in convoy in complete darkness. Headlights and marker/parking lights are off, but these blackout lights give you just enough light to make out that there is a vehicle ahead or behind you when in convoy.
They are mainly used for night vision goggles. After they get more than a few feet away, even in darkness, it is hard for the naked eye to pick up the light. However the nvg's have no problem at all.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stanmiller3
Why does that JK have leaf springs?
Because it's part of the specifications for the J8. It's for a higher cargo capacity and the retention of Jeep's Command-Trac four-wheel-drive system for maximum on- and off-road performance.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jstugs
They are mainly used for night vision goggles. After they get more than a few feet away, even in darkness, it is hard for the naked eye to pick up the light. However the nvg's have no problem at all.
When I was in the service, we didn't use the goggles. This allowed us to maintain a constant speed and remain in a tight convoy. Mind you, this was in training. In theater, you would certainly want to strap on the goggles.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guybergeron
have a look at that
I'm not quite sure I understand where you plan on welding the sheet metal. Is it to fill the gap between the top of the channel (the bumper), and the rear of the vehicle's tub?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shackles are Mopar Milspec. Can't buy them, although I think the Rugged Ridge bumper shackles look close.

The rear bumper looks to be just a 6 inch C-Channel, with the of course the pintel hitch welded in. The difficult think will be to mount the rear bumper. Unlike The front bolts straight on (where the shackle mounts attach). For the rear the factory frame rails don't bolt up the same, so you'd have to fab some sorth of bracket like Rugged Ridge did for their rear bumper.

Last, the leaf springs are there because this is intended to be a truck, probably with a heavier payload.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Default Winch

That bumper setup would be interesting but I wonder how you'd get a winch in there. Might as well bolt and I beam to the front and back and call it a day.

I'd hate to squeeze around that thing in the garage. Those sharp corners seem to be at a dangerous height.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Woods has designed some shackle mounts similar to those at a fraction of the price

Last edited by VictorS; 11-22-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awndray
I'm not quite sure I understand where you plan on welding the sheet metal. Is it to fill the gap between the top of the channel (the bumper), and the rear of the vehicle's tub?
exactly. as simple as that. make it cleaner and, to keep things i can put on the bumper from faling between the bumper and the body.

Quick Reply: thinking of building SARGE's bumpers.