Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking about some mild suspension upgrades...

Old 04-26-2016 | 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thinking about some mild suspension upgrades...

So... My Sport is mostly stock (heck its got less than 10,000 miles on it) other than a set of aftermarket wheels and a set of 285/70/17 Nitto TerraGrapplers. This past weekend at Jeep Beach I went out on the obstacle course and had some rubbing issues while flexing. I was thinking a leveling kit or really small lift might be in order... I don't have any desire to go any larger than 315's in the near future. Should I stick a 1" coil spacer in the front and maybe a 1/2" coil spacer in the rear, or should I just suck it up and get the TF Performance Leveling Kit, or should I look into something completely different. In the end, my plan to have a low rig with flat fenders, 315's, aftermarket bumpers, and a M8000 Warn on the front.
Old 04-26-2016 | 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Go with flats now. You'll still rub the stock flares with that size tire....ask how I know. I'll be doing a cut but keeping it modest.

With the weight you're looking for- a 2.5" coil would net you the same height.
Old 04-26-2016 | 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

In the end, my plan to have a low rig with flat fenders
So why lift it? Just chop the stock flares until you get around to buying flats.
Old 04-26-2016 | 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

To keep the stock fenders and those tires you will need additional bump stop. Adding the proper bump stops at stock height = no up-travel. To regain the up-travel you have to lift ~2.5in. Or leave the bump stops alone, and cut the flares or get flats.

Happy Jeeping!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-27-2016 | 07:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Adding lift will do nothing to prevent the rubbing, you need to add bump stop.
Old 04-28-2016 | 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

The highest lift I believe you can go without changing any major parts is 2" other than that, you can get a set of rims with an offset lug spacing to push the tire out more. Some will say wheel spacers but I've heard to many cons compared to the pros on those but that's all I got
Old 04-28-2016 | 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Dirtman hit the nail on the head. Trust him....he knows his shit.

If you're looking to add a bunch or additional weight, though, you're going to eventually want a lift. A 2.5" lift with a good progressive rate spring will get you where you want to be and keep your suspension from sagging. Rock Krawler makes a great kit for that. There's another thread that discusses the quality of three different springs floating around here, too, and Synergy (Poly Performance) has been noted to have good springs, too. Metal Cloak is another good one. Really any progressive rate spring should help prevent sagging once you add bumpers, a winch, any additional sprung weight. And then of course flat flares will help with the rubbing issue, too.

As for offset wheels, you really want something with a 4.5" backspacing. I know on my 17x8 XD Bullys with a 4.5" backspacing and 37x12.50-17 Trail Grapplers, I get rubbing on the frame at full steering lock. Can adjust it out by adjusting the steering stops, but then I'd lose steering throw that much. So keep that in mind, too. And yeah, some people frown at the thought of wheel spacers, but I have yet to see any adverse affects from them and I know people that have wheeled pretty damn hard with them installed.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2016 | 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

There are wheel spacers, thin rings that you install between the wheel and hub and those are not good to use and cause trouble. Wheel adapters are a thick ring that is hub centric and you semi permanently mount it to the hub and then you mount the wheel to the adapter. A hub centric wheel adapter is what you want to use. Some people call both wheel spacers to just be clear, they are two different things.
Old 04-28-2016 | 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the recommendations... I already have a nice set of aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing so I'm not having any issues when I'm turning. Where I am having issues is with some light rubbing when I'm flexing. Flexing doesn't seem to happen much in FL unless its some kind of man made obstacle though. I picked up a set of 1" coil spacers for the front today in an effort to level it out a little. I guess Ill start researching larger lift kits and bumpstops...
Old 04-28-2016 | 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

If your not interested in major lifting via springs and such you can also go with a body lift that doesn't even bother with the suspension, but you'll need extensions for break lines and all those fun factors that come with it, but people usually go for the suspension lift and upgrade as they go

Quick Reply: Thinking about some mild suspension upgrades...