Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking about bedlining the interior. Questions for those who have.

Old 06-02-2017 | 01:52 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jedg
You put dynamat down? So you put the dynamat down and sprayed the liner over it? I'm confused.
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Yeah, you can put dynamat down and Line X over it, gotta use the metal stuff and make sure it gets good contact with no bubbles. This is less important on a 12 and up JK, they don't cook the occupants like the older 3.8 Jeeps. You can also throw it down under the trans tunnel, that'll help as well.
Old 06-02-2017 | 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Yeah, you can put dynamat down and Line X over it, gotta use the metal stuff and make sure it gets good contact with no bubbles. This is less important on a 12 and up JK, they don't cook the occupants like the older 3.8 Jeeps. You can also throw it down under the trans tunnel, that'll help as well.
Oh cool. Didn't realize that could be done. Pictures?!!
Old 06-02-2017 | 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone ever heard of an additive to the liner that helps block noise and heat transfer? I saw a thread on reddit recently where they bedlined their JK and added something that was supposed to help. They did some temp readings and it was nearly the same as stock. I cant recall what it was they used though!

Also, where can I find the right primer in a local store? All I see at places like home depot are acrylic primers, nothing 2k. Id love to be able to start removing the OEM sound deadener this weekend but that means I would need to find a primer somewhere local.
Old 06-02-2017 | 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seems like snake oil I have a thick layer of a paint that had the temp ratings like styrofoam and I am nowhere near close to stock. Also I would be concerned with the liner losing it's strength.
Old 06-02-2017 | 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Going to do mine next winter after I return from deployment. I'll use raptor linner again and do myself. Been having same problems with water and would just prefer bedliner.. Prep work always takes for ever, even on just things u think will be quick, expect longer than u think by like 4 hrs.... Iv linned Rubi rails, inner fenders, all fenders, all door hinges, front and rear bumpers myself. Goes on great. Will prob use 2 kits for $200 bux plus some primer I like to throw down. If you have a compressor and some free space to work I'd suggest doing yourself.
Lot of us use the windo/roofing tar paper usually has a foil backing to it found in Lowe's or home depot for sound deaden etc. Think the liner you are talking about was some kind of paintable ceramic spray liner saw a YouTube video on it recently. I use rust oleum self etching primer in green from Lowe's or home depot. Buy a lot returns are easy.

Last edited by SullivanM08; 06-02-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2017 | 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Be careful and think through the job. Removing the carpet & floor insulation can turn the interior into a frickin oven. If you choose to procede there are several good commercial products available. Many years ago on my previous YJ crawler I used Durabak roll on. Gods results, but you really need to use their sponge roller to get the right distribution of the granules. I've also used Duplicolor's roll on and rattle can spray with mixed results. Not as durable as the Durabak and no granules.

Frankly, I feel the best money is a pro spray with Linex or similar product. By time you get done both in time & effort you'll be ahead having a pro do the shoot.
Old 06-03-2017 | 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I removed the sound goop and just applied Monstaliner over everything I could. I honestly don't know if the heat and sound is any worse than stock as I'm used to it by now. I don't think its an issue.

This was one of my favorite mods. Took about 2 solid days but the results are great. I'ts been about 3 years, maybe more, and it's held up fine.
Old 06-04-2017 | 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my entire interior done at Line-X Ft Meyers, FL for 900.00. They usually only go 6 or so inches up the sides but I worked out a deal if I took out interior minus drivers seat and scraped sound deadening they'd do complete interior including roll cage. Turned out better than I imagined and I drive bare feet some and never have any heat issues.

-Brad
Old 06-05-2017 | 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I've followed the debates on lining the interior, but the wiring bundles, access holes, having to remove factory sound/ heat insulation put me off. I carry my dogs a lot, and floor heat would be an issue.
As an alternative, there's a rubber-type floor covering called "BedTred". It's form -fitted thick flexible "liner like" material , available in front/ rear sections.
That would give easier cleaning than that damn carpet, plus not absorb water. Dog hairs would fly out with top down !
Main thing, heat insulation, sound deadening. Plus, pulls out for drying underneath, none water absorbing.
I'm getting it for my 2015 2dr, will let people know.
Old 06-05-2017 | 05:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Four Low
I've followed the debates on lining the interior, but the wiring bundles, access holes, having to remove factory sound/ heat insulation put me off. I carry my dogs a lot, and floor heat would be an issue.
As an alternative, there's a rubber-type floor covering called "BedTred". It's form -fitted thick flexible "liner like" material , available in front/ rear sections.
That would give easier cleaning than that damn carpet, plus not absorb water. Dog hairs would fly out with top down !
Main thing, heat insulation, sound deadening. Plus, pulls out for drying underneath, none water absorbing.
I'm getting it for my 2015 2dr, will let people know.
I have a friend that has full set of Bedrug. I like it, seems like a good product, but damn....for what it is, it's not cheap.

Quick Reply: Thinking about bedlining the interior. Questions for those who have.