Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking about attempting gear swap.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
Let's make sure these don't have any issues first :-)
haha, sounds good. at least going on your ring pattern paint markings look good.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They looked good to me and the back lash is within spec so fingers crossed...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

They looked good to me and the back lash is within spec so fingers crossed...
Make sure and update and let me know how things go over the next couple weeks. Everything goes right I will have my new 12 JKU this week and then lift, wheels, tires in the next couple weeks, maybe gears after that.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by h20squirter
Make sure and update and let me know how things go over the next couple weeks. Everything goes right I will have my new 12 JKU this week and then lift, wheels, tires in the next couple weeks, maybe gears after that.
Will do. I'm sure A-dub will be trying to bribe me as well. I'm going to bring home a 10' piece of 1" galvanized pipe to make a 5-6' breaker extension and I'm going to make a more stout flange wrench for future drinking events
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Will do. I'm sure A-dub will be trying to bribe me as well. I'm going to bring home a 10' piece of 1" galvanized pipe to make a 5-6' breaker extension and I'm going to make a more stout flange wrench for future drinking events
Try and find yourself a 3/4 or 1in drive breaker bar and socket set... got mine at the local Farm Store, fairly cheap.
The 3/4 drive works much better no flex...and safer, I've broke a few 1/2 drive bars and it wasn't that pretty at all !
And Congratulations on your job that appears well done!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Just might have to take a road trip. I honestly can't believe how tight that pinion nut was. Thx for the advise.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DownhomeMoto
Did my install yesterday. It was.my first install but it went well. The only issues was the bolt for the ring gear. Other then that we didn't use a case spreader. And I made a pinoin hold back tool. We used and impact to get our pinoin bearings set. Then used a huge beamed bar and pipe to get the crush sleeve to crush. It was a fun job. If you are very good about following steps and thinking logically its not that bad of a job.
Thinking logically...hmmm...take a 30k vehicle and rip parts off of it to add more parts and beat the snot out of it off-road...lol We are JEEPERS and that is what we do! Sounds logical to me thankfully the wife understands THIS ADDICTION!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 AM
JK Freak

I am trying to regear as well but cannot get my head around shimming the main carrier to get the correct backlash with the 5.13 ratio. There are two main carrier shims which are used to get the correct backlash for the factory set 3.73 ratio, how did you subsequently shim the main carrier for the new ratio????? I cannot get any shims in-between the factor shims of the main carrier. OK I don't have a case spreader, but should I use this for shimming the main carrier?

I also thought about not using the large OD/ID 2+mm factory carrier shims but than I don't have enough shims in the overhaul kit, what I am missing here...........:thin king:
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Markdsv
I am trying to regear as well but cannot get my head around shimming the main carrier to get the correct backlash with the 5.13 ratio. There are two main carrier shims which are used to get the correct backlash for the factory set 3.73 ratio, how did you subsequently shim the main carrier for the new ratio????? I cannot get any shims in-between the factor shims of the main carrier. OK I don't have a case spreader, but should I use this for shimming the main carrier?

I also thought about not using the large OD/ID 2+mm factory carrier shims but than I don't have enough shims in the overhaul kit, what I am missing here...........:thin king:
I did one side at a time and used a screwdriver to gently pry the carrier over. Then used my dead blow to gently tap them in once they got to close to tap I put the head of a brass hammer on the shim and tapped the back of that hammer with another hammer. I only pressed against the race as not to damage the shims.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are shunning to set your backlash for the gear set, not because the 5.13 vs 3.73. What you do is use the factory shine to test fit and.check backlash. If your backlash is to tight...under.006 then you need to shim the carrier away from the pinion. If your to loose .012 or more then shim the carrier closer to the pinion.

Here's what I did. I installed the new gears with the factory shims. My left shim was .135 and my right was .125 from the factory. My backlash was almost zero, at .001. I know if I move my carrier away from the pinion .010 then I should see a .007 increase in backlash. So I swapped my factory shims and that moved my ring gear away from my pinion and gave me a backlash of .008. This was with in spec.

The important thing to remember is that you have to think through it. You should have all the shims you need in your kit. Also testing the preload on your carrier with the factory shims is a good start. If you have good preload add the two shim thinkness together. In my case .125 + .135 = .260. When I move the ring gear around my total shim thinkness should still be .260, you just have diffirent ways to get it. Example .115 (left) + .145 (right) still gives me .260 total and the same amount of preload. But your ring gear is now closer to your pinion. See... I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Thinking about attempting gear swap.