Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

There's a Build Comin' - Y'all Chime In

Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arasco85
Over 3 years and 1000 post and you don't know what you need? Ok, looks like you left for awhile. So all you know is you want big?
Haha yes left for a while and definitely am going with the sizes mentioned above. I will be doing some major research over the next few weeks but I like to get ideas from other members. I understand the opinions mentioned above.

Sam
Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a show Jeep, and looking for large lift, a Coilover can be adjusted to make it look right for the tires. I know Rebel's coilovers can be adjusted up to 8 inches. This will give you the option of dialing it up or down, once you get the 42s. I would also look at a long arm kit to help with drivability at that size (plus a nice kit will stand out). I know you stated that you are not really looking to do the axles, but I have seen a nice JK with the Teraflex dana 60 axles that are wider than standard rock the 40s he is running. Makes the stance look even more aggressive.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

So you are comfortable running two sets of wheel spacers in order to be able to steer 42's on factory width axles? Factory axle width is the real issue in running 40"+ tires not lift, but if you truly are going to run 8" of lift it may work.
Why don't you just buy bane? It is a black JKU already set up on 42's
I would really look up this build thread since it is almost the same thing you are planning.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
So you are comfortable running two sets of wheel spacers in order to be able to steer 42's on factory width axles? Factory axle width is the real issue in running 40"+ tires not lift, but if you truly are going to run 8" of lift it may work. Why don't you just buy bane? It is a black JKU already set up on 42's I would really look up this build thread since it is almost the same thing you are planning.
Bane has a 60 front and 14b rear. That doesn't sound at all like what this guy is planning. OP is planning huge lift and tires with no axle upgrades

Unless we are talking about different builds.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm indifferent to your build. However, I have opinions as it relates to personal and public safety. 42" tires on a stock axle with those size wheels isn't close to safe. Sure, you can beef the housing, etc. No ball joint will be able to handle those. The unit bearings will die a quick death (especially when you put about 4" of wheel spacers on). Nothing about a stock JK is ready to handle that amount of rolling mass. And with that amount of lift, you'll struggle to get pinion angle unless you cut and rotate the C's. Or, get a spyntech kit.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a picture of Teratoy. He is running his coilovers at about 5.5 inches and has 40s.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

We are getting somewhere now. This is exactly the type of information I want to see. The game plan can change at any moment but I'm interested to see folks going big with upgrades on stock axles instead of full blown replacements. I appreciate the posts so far and hope they keep coming.

Sam
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by tcdawg
Bane has a 60 front and 14b rear. That doesn't sound at all like what this guy is planning. OP is planning huge lift and tires with no axle upgrades

Unless we are talking about different builds.
His original plan was running 42's on rubi axles with 6" of lift, he ending up doing it right and went with tons. Read the thread on JKO and you will see the similarities.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Look up D_angle on JK freaks, he has blown up a couple of axles on stock 40's. He is going tons now.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Look up D_angle on JK freaks, he has blown up a couple of axles on stock 40's. He is going tons now.
Will do. But what is he doing that is blowing them up? Wheeling?

Sam

Quick Reply: There's a Build Comin' - Y'all Chime In