Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is there a downside to a body lift?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob-o
Would it be better if I ditched my 1 1/4" rc bl and put 1" coil spacers on top of my 2.5" teraflex coil lift and still run my 37" km2's
Yes I think it would because you are moving the frame up wich would give you more ground clearance
Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

But do those shocks too bob
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses. This is good feedback. The reason I asked the question is because I recently went to bigger tires and now the clearance from my tires to the fenders is roughly the same as the distance from my bump stops to their landing pads. i.e. I'll probably hit the fenders about the same time or just before the bump stops hit. I have considered at least 3 options to resolve this.
1) Extend the bump stops front and rear by about 1 to 1.5 inches. This is the least expensive but I'll lose suspension travel.
2) A body lift- More expensive than bump-stop extensions but it will preserve my suspension travel.
3) Bushwacker flat fenders- The most expensive option at about $600 bones, but no reduction in suspension travel and it should solve the issue of fender contact. It will keep my cog the same too.

So I still need to think about this for a while. Maybe I should send a note to Santa and push for the flat fender kit. I've been pretty good this year, so who knows?

I suppose Red's fender trim may be another low cost alternative too.

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 10-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcgee149

Yes I think it would because you are moving the frame up wich would give you more ground clearance
Ok ya ,I will most likely get some 3/4 or 1" coil spacers and sell my rough country body lift and I will get the bilstein shocks for a 4".lift
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
Thanks for all the responses. This is good feedback. The reason I asked the question is because I recently went to bigger tires and now the clearance from my tires to the fenders is roughly the same as the distance from my bump stops to their landing pads. i.e. I'll probably hit the fenders about the same time or just before the bump stops hit. I have considered at least 3 options to resolve this.
1) Extend the bump stops front and rear by about 1 to 1.5 inches. This is the least expensive but I'll lose suspension travel.
2) A body lift- More expensive than bump-stop extensions but it will preserve my suspension travel.
3) Bushwacker flat fenders- The most expensive option at about $600 bones, but no reduction in suspension travel and it should solve the issue of fender contact. It will keep my cog the same too.

So I still need to think about this for a while. Maybe I should send a note to Santa and push for the flat fender kit. I've been pretty good this year, so who knows?

I suppose Red's fender trim may be another low cost alternative too.
Ya just hack the stock ones. But take it time taping them out ,measure twice cut once
Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
OR-FAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a Performance Accessories PLS kit that consists of a 1.75' leveling kit with a 1' body lift that clears 35's. Now, I do have a little rubbing in the rear fenders when wheeling. Other than that it rides perfect and looks good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-15.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	373920Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5831.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	373921Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	373922
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

been reading this thread. A small body lift gets you the clearance to run larger tires, real world ground clearance. Lifting an inch or so with a body lift leaves you cog lower compared to a suspension lift of similar height as you are NOT raising the chasis, motor and drive train components, just the body. I'm going to be using a 1" bl on my jeep to fit 35s. Leveling kit with small body lift a great way to fit 35s with the lowest possible cog besides chopping fenders and stuff.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
I'm seriously considering the 1inch body lift from Daystar. I have never done a body lift before. Is there a downside to these kits or is it really as simple as it seems?
Thanks.
If u choose to do a body lift, you can get the rough country 1.25" bl from eBay for $100 shipped. That's where I got mine
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Make sure the body lift has bumper brackets...So your bumpers are back with the body.

I can get a RC body lift from my buddy for 50 bucks, but the bumper brackets are not included.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kojack
Make sure the body lift has bumper brackets...So your bumpers are back with the body.

I can get a RC body lift from my buddy for 50 bucks, but the bumper brackets are not included.
I have the rear bumper brackets that.came with my RC BL , I can sell them to u

Quick Reply: Is there a downside to a body lift?