Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is there anything I'm missing or haven't thought of?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything I'm missing or haven't thought of?

I am submitting my budget proposal to Congress (wife) this afternoon in the hopes that it gets approved. I've been lobbying pretty hard for months now, so I think it has a better chance of getting passed than Obama's health care proposal. There have been substantial revisions, but I think this is as bare bones as I can get by with what I want to do. I'll hopefully be contacting David at Northridge soon.

Teraflex 2.5" coil lift w/o shocks - Part No. 1351000 ~$430
Teraflex adjustable front lower control arms - Part No. 1653700 ~$300
REMOVED - Teraflex adjustable rear upper control arms - Part No. 1654800 ~$280
JKS adjustable front track bar ~$145
JKS adjustable rear track bar ~$145
(4) OME long-travel shocks ~$340
(5) BFG KM2 35x12.50R17 ~$1,500
(5) Blackrock Series 997 flat black steel wheels 17x8 ~$350
ProComp Accu Pro Calibrator ~$130
REMOVED - Tire mounting and balancing (at local shop) ~$130

ADJUSTED Total ~$3,340

I will install all lift components. My goal was to stay below the $4,000 mark. I tried to do it with the 3" TF lift, but there was no way I could stay below and get front and rear adjustable track bars and OME shocks. I couldn't do it even with the OME lift kit special at Northridge. Once you start adding bumpstops, extended brake lines, links and control arms, it gets up there. I don't wheel hard - mainly rough gravel, mud and snow - no rocks, so I think 2.5" should be sufficient.

Any thoughts?

Edit:

After some recommendations, I've removed the rear upper control arms from my list and have reduced the price of the tire mounting, hoping that I could get them a little cheaper. I think I still want to get front and rear adjustable track bars and regardless of what shocks I go with, they're going to be about the same price.

Last edited by nclehmann; 02-26-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the tires costing you $1,630 I was able to go through the local 4wp and get in on a $250 off a set of KM2s. I bought my 5, mounted and balanced, WITH the road hazard warranty for $1200 (35x12.5x17s)

Shop around or make them work with you on the price. Could save a few bucks.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fire extinguisher. I don't know of any organized trails you can ride on without one.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Fire extinguisher. I don't know of any organized trails you can ride on without one.
Got one already! It was a carry-over from my old TJ.

My question was more directed at the lift components - i.e. any unexpected pieces that I may need to purchase that aren't included in the 2.5" TF kit. I plan to use the TPMS sensors that are in my stock wheels now, so hopefully, they won't get damaged when they remove the tires off my stock wheels.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

That looks pretty thorough to me. Wish I could get it all at once!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nclehmann
Got one already! It was a carry-over from my old TJ.

My question was more directed at the lift components - i.e. any unexpected pieces that I may need to purchase that aren't included in the 2.5" TF kit. I plan to use the TPMS sensors that are in my stock wheels now, so hopefully, they won't get damaged when they remove the tires off my stock wheels.

Coolness. I kinda caught the drift of what you meant....it wouldda just sucked if you got all that stuff and were turned away at some trail cause you didn't have one, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Coolness. I kinda caught the drift of what you meant....it wouldda just sucked if you got all that stuff and were turned away at some trail cause you didn't have one, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Much appreciated.

Athough I've gone to URE a few times and no one has ever asked. Our family wheeling trips usually involve camping somewhere and we always keep a fire extinguisher or two with our camping gear.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

List looks well researched and good...and seems like it will suit your needs

TF makes good stuff & is offers great support. While I love my OME, if I had to do it again TF would be one of the top brands I'd check out.

I'm sure you've seen the TF write-up - definitely a good read.

Couple thoughts:

1. Programmer: Have you looked at AEV Pro Cal vs. Pro Comp? I'm not too familiar with the Pro Comp but AEV has been solid for me for what it is. Superchips offers even more & might be worth waiting/saving for. Look here to read more positive praise for the Superchips.

2. OME LT Shocks: I have 'em and love 'em. They yield about 11.5" of travel.

I'm not sure how much travel the TF shocks have that come with this kit but it might be less. With that said two things to think about if the OME LT are noteably longer:

a. your brake lines. TF kit comes with brackets to drop the lines. This may or may not be enough for the OME LT shocks. You can test them as joe002 did in the write up to simulate flex. If its too close you can obviously add brakelines before you wheel it hard

b. coil retention: TF comes with lower rear spring retainers. If you look @ the PDF instructions on the TF site they caution that if you add shocks that are a longer then 25" (full extended length) you should add a 1/2" rear upper spring guide. Maybe David @ Northridge or ARBSeth can confirm the length.

3. control arms: . You'll be happy you budgeted the front lowers. Noticeable difference on the road. You might consider skipping the rear uppers (at least for now) and save that $ towards a tire carrier or put it to the programmer. From my understanding (which is limited! ) the rear uppers won't be necessary at this lift height on an unlimited.

Good luck on the build.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
As far as the tires costing you $1,630 I was able to go through the local 4wp and get in on a $250 off a set of KM2s. I bought my 5, mounted and balanced, WITH the road hazard warranty for $1200 (35x12.5x17s)

Shop around or make them work with you on the price. Could save a few bucks.
That's REALLY good to hear. My budget actually stays at $4,000 regardless of what I get, so if I can save some money on tires, I can get the Hanson front stubby with winch guard .

I know that 4WP and other vendors on the forum are always running specials, so if I can go to my local guys or buy through the forum, I can probably get 10% off something here and there. I think shipping is free through 4WP if they ship to a local 4WP store and I pick up locally - you pay sales tax, but that's still less than 10%. Maybe I'll save enough to pick up a winch too?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to run the OME long travel shocks you are going to want to either get the 1/2" rear spring spacers from Tera that will recenter the springs during extreme flex, or you will want to get Currie spring retainers that hold the spring at the top and bottom.

Quick Reply: Is there anything I'm missing or haven't thought of?