Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is there any difference between 4Door and 2Door Shocks?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there any difference between 4Door and 2Door Shocks?

Hell guys,

well im asking cause my 2Door has a 4Door rough country 3.5" lift, they guy at the store told me that they didnt have the 2Door but that the 4Door kit was exacly the same... he showed me the part list for both kits and he was right .

this is the kit i have => http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3-seriesII.html

now.. yesterday on the way home... i hit a pothole with my front left wheel at arround 50mph and the jeep started shaking... more and more to a point where you could here the tires just skipping
a really Scary experience... had to lower gears from D to 1 just to slow down cause braking just made it worse....

i asked a friend when i finally got home what could be wrong.. he shook my jeep and told me that it was rocking way more than it should and asked me if my shocks where damage or old since it looked like the car was just sitting on the coils.. i told him that the kit was brand new ( bougth and installed this past saturday ) and that it was the 4Door version but that it was the same thing as the 2 door. he then explained to me that the problem migth be the shocks itself, since they where made for the 4 Door that weighs more they where making my jeep unstable he they pulled one of the front shocks out compressed it with his hand and let it go.. it immediatly shoot upwards, he told me that wasnt normal that a shock must be hard to compress and it slowly raises back up, that the coils are the on who do most of the work when extending the shock... i was a doubious but he then took one of the original shocks that i had stored and did the same thing compressed them and let go... it raised back up WAY slower than the RoughCountry Shocks...

no... is he right??
should i go to the store and tell them to change the shocks to the 2Door one?

thanks in advance guys im a complete novice regarding cars.. specially jeeps haha :P but im here to learn
Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the shock may just be bad and I dont think theres any difference between 2dr and 4dr shocks. I ran shocks from a 4dr rubi on my 2dr and never had a problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

4 doors and 2 doors use the same parts and there is only a minor weight difference between the two. Most companies don't make different components for the different models. The shocks do sound a little fishy but I don't think there would be much difference in the 2-4 door versions, perhaps there is a defective one.

It might also be death wobble - there are some real good articles here like this one..https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start checking threads on 'death wobble.' That is what you experienced.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepfan
4 doors and 2 doors use the same parts and there is only a minor weight difference between the two. Most companies don't make different components for the different models. The shocks do sound a little fishy but I don't think there would be much difference in the 2-4 door versions, perhaps there is a defective one.

It might also be death wobble - there are some real good articles here like this one..https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles
well... i didnt see the car from outside but it sure sounded like the video in the link above...

torque wrench will be my best friend till i can fix this.

Quick Reply: Is there any difference between 4Door and 2Door Shocks?