Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

And then this happened?!

Old 03-10-2016, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And then this happened?!

Great day for driving my jeep and then this happened. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree!!
84k on my 07 and up until now no real issues. Haven't messed with anything recently other than a oil change, rotation, and replaced my busted steering stabilizer this past weekend.
Yes, I have already read a few post but it seems the issue could be a variety of things. My battery is almost 3 years old. Strange thing though is my mpg slightly increased. I have been noticing when I first turn on my jeep it does not always start up strong. Almost like there is a delay in revving . When I got home I cut her off and then back on again and the lights went away. Any signs of a future issue? Thanks in advanced

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3547836075.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	640187
Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I wouldn't panic yet. Ensure your battery connections are tight. Then replace the battery. Next maybe run the self diagnostic test on the instrument panel (instrument cluster actuator test)... then maybe look at the TIPM.

Instrument cluster test

ACTUATOR TEST
The instrument cluster actuator test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges and the indicators are capable of operating as designed. During the actuator test the instrument cluster circuitry will position each of the gauge needles at various calibration points, illuminate each of the segments in the Vacuum-Fluorescent Display (VFD) units, and turn all of the indicators ON and OFF again.

Successful completion of the actuator test will confirm that the instrument cluster is operational. However, there may still be a problem with the CAN or LIN data bus, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the Controller Antilock Brake (CAB), the All-Wheel Drive Control Module (AWDCM), the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), the compass module, the Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (also known as the Wireless Control Module/WCM), or the inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a diagnostic scan tool to diagnose these components. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position.
2. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
3. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
4. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
5. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the VFD units, and perform a bulb check of each operational LED indicator. The VFD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.
6. The actuator test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test. The actuator test will be aborted if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, or if an electronic vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received over the CAN data bus during the test.
7. Go back to STEP 1 to repeat the test, if necessary.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Thanks, good info. Never knew about this
Old 03-10-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine did the same thing. Battery terminals looked like they were fine, but I guess after wiring my winch I didn't full seat the connector to the terminal. Took 2 minutes to loosen the nut, tap them down flat, and retighten. Haven't had any issues since.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has done that a few times, but only when it's cold.
Since it always goes away after a few seconds and doesn't happen frequently it never bothered me.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And make sure you haven't attached any accessory power wires to the nut closest to the battery terminals. That is an acorn nut that clamps the battery terminals as it tightens.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Mine did the same thing. Battery terminals looked like they were fine, but I guess after wiring my winch I didn't full seat the connector to the terminal. Took 2 minutes to loosen the nut, tap them down flat, and retighten. Haven't had any issues since.
Same here. After a service visit, I encountered the Christmas tree show and engine degradation while driving. I pulled over and found the negative cable was not tight. I figure the tech forgot to finish reconnecting it. It was kinda snug but I could move it with my hand with moderate force. A quick reseat and retightening fixed it. No issues since. Validating the battery connections are clean and tight is always a good first step and it doesn't cost anything. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 had that happen, two days later the battery choked. I'd check the battery/terminals like everyone said. Probably not a huge problem, but I do agree that it gets your heart pounding when it happens.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ppened-143441/ See the later portion of the thread for the resolution. Good luck. Hopefully this helps

Edit: lol at how I took my photo while driving... Yours clearly was stopped safely with the parking brake on

Last edited by Wartoy; 03-10-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Got in the Jeep this morning to drive to work and the Christmas tree is gone! Getting the battery checked today. Battery is almost 3 years old and I've done some winching this year so hope that's it. Thanks for all the good suggestions

Quick Reply: And then this happened?!