Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Theft deterrent?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been ripped off a number of times. From experience, I can tell you the best and easiest thing to do is leave everything unlocked and leave nothing valuable in your Jeep. I would rather a thief open my door, open my glove box and console and scoop up my loose change, than slash open my soft top, break open and damage my plastic glove box and center console and scoop up my loose change.

For security inside the Jeep, Tuffy makes some pretty good security products, including a replacement glove box, center console insert, etc.

As many have stated, you can get security nuts for your doors, wheels, etc. Definitely get wheel locks for your lug nuts. It's a very cheap and very easy way to protect your investment.

Welds are a good idea for your bumpers assuming they are placed where your mechanic can easily grind them off if you need to remove them. I don't have any on my bumpers, but I do on my rock sliders.

If you’re totally paranoid, you can get a Viper security system with a proximity sensor, but that might be overkill for the price you spend on one of those!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

i think it might be some luck too.

I've never had anything taken from my jeep and i haven't always locked it...

But i've known people to get their windows smashed for less.

I would say to not leave anything in your jeep and not lock your doors but the best way to not worry is to get good insurance. You can break into my jeep and steal whatever, all I'm going to do is call USAA and they'll replace it
Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Glock 27 w/LaserMax Red Dot works too but i prefer to use my garage when possible!!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Proximity sensor is the way to go! That way even if you have your top down, your covered. You can get a viper two way system along with the proximity sensor for about $300-$400. The remote will alert you if your alarm is triggered within 2000 feet...

ht tp://www.viper.com/P-508D/Invisibeam%C2%AE-Field-Disturbance-Sensor

Last edited by Absolute; 11-26-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clicky
Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Along with a proximity sensor, also a 2 way alarm with key fob notification, that way you get a chirp when your car alarm goes off because 99% of people ignore car alarms on the street anyway. DEI makes a good 2 way system.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just use common sense...

I just try to be careful where I park my Jeep and try not to leave anything in it that I can't do without. Also where you park I think has a lot to do with it. Luckily I havent been ripped off for anything more than a box of trash bags. I also try not to lock the doors. I'd rather find my Jeep rifled through than to find my windows smashed and slashed

Quick Reply: Theft deterrent?