Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF front full float kit wheels?

Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF front full float kit wheels?

Looking for actual experience with the TF 8-lug full float front axle kit in a D44 in terms of wheels used. From what I've been able to find online a 4-4.5" back spacing and -25 to -30 mm offset appears to be what pops up but everything is pretty vague. Not looking to drop a bunch of $$$ on bling or bead locks, just a solid alloy 17"rim that can run a 35-37" tire, daily driver functionality. I've had the AEV Pintlers & Borahs and am really happy with them but AEV offers nothing close to the specs I need in a 8x6.5 - their Salta HD would be purchased already if they did.
Anyone have the TF kit & happy with a particular affordable 17" 8x6.5 lug wheel choice? Thanks

And yes, I did search and this thread is pretty much text book on non-answer worm hole
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ersion-336029/
Old 11-12-2019, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

If it were me, I'd error towards that 4" BS for a 37. Typically you're looking at 3.5", but that hub is going to add what, maybe 1/2" extra to a wheel's BS. I've just swapped axles and now have Spyntec hubs mounted to a PR44 front and that is what I notice. Mated with 4" BS ATX Chamber Pros and wrapped with 37x13 Open Country MTs. I haven't had it out wheelin yet, but I have some concerns with clearances. Need to hit local'ish RTI ramp behind a 4WP shop. I'd be shocked if you can clear a 37 on 4.5" BS.

Sorry, I can't help with wheel suggestion.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response. Yeah, like I had said, stuff I found online was really vague so you're probably spot on with the 3.5" to 4" BS. It'd be nice to stay as narrow as possible but clearance with the steering and frame become an issue then.
Just not an easily sourced cheap wheel that's for certain.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

So I ended up with Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 Pro 2 Series with -12 mm offset, 4.5 inch backspacing, 17x9 rim. Mostly because they were $124 each shipped and I wasn't opposed to running spacers to get the tires to sit exactly where I wanted. I put on 37x12.5x17 GY Wrangler MTR's and with the TF kit the rear is fine and the front just rubs the frame rails at full lock. I put on some 1" spacers and that gave me the same stance as if I had paid for the -38mm wheels. That seemed about perfect but I could tell the turning radius suffered a bit and the width from outside tire edge to tire edge was 82". Perfection is probably somewhere between 1/2" and 3/4" thick spacers but will probably just run the 1" spacers and be done with it. The rims and tires are great though, no complaints there.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by clownmidget
Perfection is probably somewhere between 1/2" and 3/4" thick spacers but will probably just run the 1" spacers and be done with it.
You are talking about the thinner spacers that sandwich on the stock lugs, and not the Spidertrax type that bolts on, correct? This type of spacer hasn't gotten very favorable reviews here, but I have not seen any actual feedback from folks who run them. If you think about it in 6 months or a year, please post an update on your experience.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Sorry for the hijack but ......
Guy in our local off road club actually machined a full floater rear in Dana 44 for his TJ and he has installed Warn hubs on it. Stock Jeep fit wheels with center slightly machined out and a full floater 44 front end as well with hubs. It can be done.

UPDATE:
Check this video at 6:40 Turquois TJ with the front and rear hubs and full floaters on Jeep D44 diffs and Jeep wheels. Home shop job.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 08-06-2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added video
Old 08-04-2020, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You are talking about the thinner spacers that sandwich on the stock lugs, and not the Spidertrax type that bolts on, correct? This type of spacer hasn't gotten very favorable reviews here, but I have not seen any actual feedback from folks who run them. If you think about it in 6 months or a year, please post an update on your experience.
Yeah, the 1" spacers were the typical type that have their own lugs & nuts you mount, then mount your wheel to their lugs.
I think the "sandwich" type would be better in terms of getting me that 1/2" to 3/4" but I've never run that style and am a bit worried about having enough lug to secure the wheel properly. So I'm just running narrow and rubbing for the time being!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

You could always just run longer wheel studs, but I've never seen anything good said about that style of spacer either. That is also the kinda thing that usually will get you zero service at the tire shops.

Quick Reply: TF front full float kit wheels?