Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF 2.5'' or TF 3''

Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF 2.5'' or TF 3''

confused on which one to get..anyone wanna help out?? =]
How much actual difference is there between the two?
if i got the 3'' would i need new drive shafts and have to put in alot more money?
if you have any pictures that would be awesome.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

The 3" TF gives closer to 4" of lift, as much as 4.25 even sometimes... You would want to replace your front DS as that angle is sharp and your likely to rip your boot quickly. Your rear you should still be OK with, but the front would be needed if you drive an auto specifically
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by REL1203
The 3" TF gives closer to 4" of lift, as much as 4.25 even sometimes... You would want to replace your front DS as that angle is sharp and your likely to rip your boot quickly. Your rear you should still be OK with, but the front would be needed if you drive an auto specifically
Maybe you (or anyone) can tell me if I would have to replace either one of my driveshafts w/ a 3" TF lift and 35's.

I drive an 08 2dr X 6-speed.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends what you looking for, if you wanta simple lft for basic offroading then go for the 2.5" but if your wanting todo a little more extreme offroading and going to fit 35"tires, then i'd go for the 3" lift.

I've just fitted a 2.5"lift to my 2dr and its a nice amount of lift without going crazy, im only planning to fit 33" tires though.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
depends what you looking for, if you wanta simple lft for basic offroading then go for the 2.5" but if your wanting todo a little more extreme offroading and going to fit 35"tires, then i'd go for the 3" lift.

I've just fitted a 2.5"lift to my 2dr and its a nice amount of lift without going crazy, im only planning to fit 33" tires though.
I have to disagree... the 2.5 kit is just as capable off road maybe even more. It is a lower COG. Paired with some 35s and flat fenders there is nothing you cant do that would require another inch of coil.....

IMO it comes down to looks.... when comparing these 2 kits

being that you have a 2 door, driveshafts come into play
Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

what do u mean drive shafts come into play? and since im just doing it for looks would i have to shave my fenders?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

it means that depending on the angle of the shaft after the lift it is possible yo uwill need a new shaft.... the possibility is great with more lift. Do you have to cut fenders? no. Look in my gallery. 2.5" coil kit on 35s no fender cut
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I got a 4 door 09 rubi...
I got the 2.5
I wish I got the 3.0

I got coils and shocks...
and I have 35's

I dont think it would change a damn bit of anything off road, but maybe I wouldnt have had to cut my rubi rails so much...

and maybe I wouldnt have had to rip off my front bumper plastic thing too... also I may get a little more height and not want more right now...
but it might just be a curse to ALWAYS WANT MORE!