Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF 2.5" lift on JK2010 - Rear Coils not central

Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TF 2.5" lift on JK2010 - Rear Coils not central

Hi,

I have a JK2010 and have a TF 2.5" coil lift + all adjustable control arms, I have already set the control arms as short as possible but still don't like the looks of my rear coils, they look offset (not central going down).

My jeep drives fine although I had issues with bottoming out during a recent expedition. Is if normal to have only 1" between the bumpstop and axle?

Any thoughts on if my set is normal or do I need to change the set up (not much I can do though) thinking about going to coils to get a 4" lift......

Cheers,

Mark
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're bowing cause your axle is rotated now. Several companies make some you cut the perch off and install new ones.I used rock krawler correction wedges to fix mine from bowing.They were cheap, easy to install, and corrected the prob.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=247

Last edited by mkjeep; 06-25-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 2.5" kit with stock arms, my springs are straight. Not sure of the purpose of adjustable arms, especially rear, on a short lift??? With stock arms, mine drives perect.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

Default Shock wedges

Guys,

Thank you very much, indeed the axle is rotated and is deforming my coils, thinking about going for 4" TF coils, but I am not keen to also need to change my drive shafts.

Indeed you are correct again, the adjustable control arms are not necessary at all, just liked the look of it and for possible better articulation (OK bit daft with hindsight) maybe time to go for the 4" lift.......just a shame that I have ELKA's for a 2.5" lift, need new shock as well then
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Markdsv
.....just a shame that I have ELKA's for a 2.5" lift, need new shock as well then
Yeah, thats abit of a bite right there. Maybe run shock extensions on them, I'm not real sure if they'd hold up well on those shocks though. Talk to Joe at Tera.

Thanks for the friend add too
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Talk to Joe at Tera.
Good point about shock extensions but I am not too keen on them, let me talk to Joe and see what he says.

Speak later

Cheers,

Mark
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lift

At 2.5, you probably should not need any rear adjustable arms. Re-install your OE arms and see the difference. Also, you can spin your coils around and it will change the bow a little bit. Make sure the start of your coil on the on your axle is toward the front. if the gap between the start of the coil and the next coil is toward the back, this will cause more bowing. You probably also do not need such large bump stops. I run 1.5" rear bump stops with a 2.5" lift, and that is only to prevent shocks from over compressing.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 AM
JK Freak

Default Thans

Thanks guys, pending Joe's feedback I am thinking about shock wedges and the TF levelling kit, maybe 1" spacer as well will do nicely. I don't think I have a 2.5" lift as jet hence the wedge and spacer should keep me with in my ELKA shock reach (2.5")

Indeed I can skim the TF bump stops as well.

I also bought a JKS adjustable rear trackbar so I can take the extension bracket off as this was catching on the shock bracket on the axle (only when bottoming out though, and my jeep was pretty heavy)
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
They're bowing cause your axle is rotated now. Several companies make some you cut the perch off and install new ones.I used rock krawler correction wedges to fix mine from bowing.They were cheap, easy to install, and corrected the prob.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=247

We just installed these wedges on a FT 4 inch lift, Easy and corrected the bowing issue. I have the 2.5 TF coil kit.. No bowing, I agree with another posting, replace with the stock rear arms to check.

Quick Reply: TF 2.5" lift on JK2010 - Rear Coils not central