Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF 2.5 Lift Issues

Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's weird you only had an inch. I have 3" (measured) bumpstops and have just about 2.25"(measured) between the bumpstops.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gloworm19
Yup.. just did mine this past weekend, along with Rugged Ridge 1.25" spacers. It looks good. They should come from the factory looking like this.

Only problem I have is rear axle shift... the rear trackbar drop bracket fits into the frame mount, but the bolt holes don't line up. Left it off for now. Have to get it on before hitting Rausch Creek this weekend!
Hit it up into the stock bracket with a hammer. One mild swing will line it right up. Whatever you do, do not use the paper template that shows the dimensions. Both the drawing on the paper and the dimensions listed were off by almost 1/2 inch. Its a real shame that it is like that (the template, and numbers), there must be at least a few folks that drilled holes and screwed up the factory welded frame bracket.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adaycj
Hit it up into the stock bracket with a hammer. One mild swing will line it right up. Whatever you do, do not use the paper template that shows the dimensions. Both the drawing on the paper and the dimensions listed were off by almost 1/2 inch. Its a real shame that it is like that (the template, and numbers), there must be at least a few folks that drilled holes and screwed up the factory welded frame bracket.
Bringing this issue up with R&D now.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
I think a small bumpstop extension would solve your problem. I would get bumpstops for a 3-3.5" lift and I would bet the problem would be solved.

Bumpstops don't cost much either.
Only a big bump stop extension will help, more than 1 inch I suspect. As I stated in my original post, I am not hitting the bump stop when the tire hits the bucket so it really isn't very close.

I have an adjustable strap that I am going to take to the loading dock. Despite the "easy answer" of wheels or spacers, I want to see how much down travel I have to loose to stop the tilting of the axle this far.

As I see it that is the real difference from stock anyway. The axle drops further, not compresses up further, so I'll consider addressing it on the downward side first. The coil hits the tire in the center of the side, so a longer bump stop is going to have to be very long in order to stop this problem I think.

Something that I didn't talk about in my post was my usage. I wheel and live in Michigan. I go to the sand dunes a few times a year, so upward wheel travel is somewhat important. I also go to Drummond island, which has rocks, but not the Moab or Rubicon "crawl a rock face" type. For most situations I had plenty of articulation stock when disconnected. Getting hung on rocks and over center is my issue. The lift will help, but missing an bit of articulation likely will not.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

If you are using the jeep at the dunes and need the up travel, you should look into the fox airbumps. They would be killer for your particular situation.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
If you are using the jeep at the dunes and need the up travel, you should look into the fox airbumps. They would be killer for your particular situation.
Except they cost more than inexpensive wheels.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x 43 on the spacers.... i have rubi wheels on a sahara and added teraflex disco's, then while disco'd and at full lock they tires rubbed the sway bar link bolt, added spidertrax 1.5" spacers, no more rubbing and makes the JK look and feel better, more planted on the street.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

After another trip to the loading dock I have a solution. First a few details.

A longer bump stop of reasonable length will not work. I jammed a few chunks of plastic in the spring and compressed against the bump stop pad. At takes almost 1 1/4 inches of additional stop the bucket misses the tire enough to see light through the gap. That will not be acceptable to me, since it uses over 1/3 of my travel under normal conditions.

Limiting droop will work by limiting the overall extended length of the shock. By limiting shock extension I can achieve no rubbing with the stock wheels. The great part is that I only need just about 1/2 less travel. I had considered a limiting strap, but since the modification is small I just modified the shock extensions. I turned the step down so the lowest washer would ride just over 1/2 inch lower. Then I extended the threads so I could tighten it up.

I'll retest on my next trip past the loading dock, but I'm sure that it is fixed. It will miss the sidewall by a 1/16th or so. I just hope the next set of tires I mount isn't any wider in this area.

Quick Reply: TF 2.5 Lift Issues