Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF 2.5 Lift Issues

Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF 2.5 Lift Issues

First things first. Before we even run the potential of getting off track. I'm the kind of guy that takes responsibility for my own work. This post is not a complaint, and I'm not one of the types that posts when I modify my rig and blame everyone but me.

I bought the springs in the front Tera 2.5 BB with shock extensions. The install went as good as one can go. On a run into town I stopped by a loading dock. Before I get even close to compressing to the bump stop while flexing the tire hits the coil bucket.

There is a note about ".... for max performance ... wheels or spacers...", which is a massive paraphrase. I didn't really want wheel spacers. I don't have the budget for wheels.

I thought of grinding the coil bucket, but I think the lip is there to add rigidity. Plus I don't think it will be enough. It is not a centered axle issue, because the other side is only an 1/8 inch from the bucket at about the same compression.

Anyone flex one of these lifts with stock wheels and see this result?

As it may matter:
2007 JK Unlimited 4dr, Rubicon. Stock wheels and tires.

Last edited by adaycj; 06-08-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Just curious, but which bumpstops do you have? and are the bumpstops over compressing when you are flexed like this? I have seen the extended bumpstops "overcompress" and allow too much up travel. You ever look at this before the lift and see how close it got?

I have bumpstops that attached to the axle and never had the problem you show, never discoed my front with the stock tires either.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the ones that press into the stock bump stop position. Then you push in the stock ones in the pocket below. No bump stops are touching when the pictures were taken. Truthfully, I'm really not flexed out all that much.

I can't imagine Tera sells a shorter bump stop anyway, so it seems unlikely that they got the wrong part in the box. They did seem to have some trouble filling the box before they shipped it , and several things were missing. There was no packing list to verify what should have been in the box. Now you have me worried.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

I don't think anything is wrong with your lift, I just think you are getting some great flex, much more than I got. It may just be because you can disco your sway bar.

I personally didn't like the way the bumpstops were that came with the lift, I have 3" bumpstops that bolt to the axle.

Did you ever happen to look at the flex when you had the stock suspension? Just curious if it gets close like that stock.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if everything is installed correctly, as you already know you need spacers or wheels . there's not much science around it .stock wheels are too far in.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
if everything is installed correctly, as you already know you need spacers or wheels . there's not much science around it .stock wheels are too far in.
I agree, no engineering classes are required. I'd just surprised since there are hundreds of posts about the variations of this lift on this board and elsewhere. There are all kids of posts about sway bar links, but none (really I searched) about the coll bucket contact.

I guess either the people that run this lift with stock wheels don't off road disconnected, don't flex disconnected and check things out, or just don't have a clue.

At this point I'd say that wheels or spacers are required off road on a Rubicon model (with the variations of this lift), since you could easily destroy your tires with the push of a button. Funny too because now TF includes the front disconnect kit with the lift kit. Now everyone can cause the same damage without even removing a bolt. Based on the new parts in the kit, I would now say "wheels or spacers" REQUIRED. The "can I use stock wheels" question is common enough around here, and it seems to me the common answer has changed.

I have another off road trip planned in a few weeks. I'll have to run with the ASB connected or take off the lift. For my wheeling, I think I will be better off with the lift.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

I think a small bumpstop extension would solve your problem. I would get bumpstops for a 3-3.5" lift and I would bet the problem would be solved.

Bumpstops don't cost much either.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

How do you figure Rubob? I have three inch bumpstops an I don't seem to be riding on my bumpstops. The only time the bumpstops touch is when flexed, at which point they are doing their job and preventing the tires from eating my fenders.

I don't know everything but I can't see how limiting the up-travel by half an inch would hurt things here.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RuBob
with more bumpstop, you'll be riding on the bumpstops.

i am happy with my wheel spacers. much better stance and makes the stock tires look bigger.
Yup.. just did mine this past weekend, along with Rugged Ridge 1.25" spacers. It looks good. They should come from the factory looking like this.

Only problem I have is rear axle shift... the rear trackbar drop bracket fits into the frame mount, but the bolt holes don't line up. Left it off for now. Have to get it on before hitting Rausch Creek this weekend!

Quick Reply: TF 2.5 Lift Issues