Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF 2.5 HD BB passenger coil spring rubbing

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF 2.5 HD BB passenger coil spring rubbing

Hey all,

I'm running the TF 2.5 BB with HD springs and I've run into a problem.

With the weather getting better up here in ME I've started taking the front top off. I've had the bug to go out wheeling for MONTHS and finally went out and started hearing a very loud creaking / squeeking.

At first I thought it was the End links needing grease but after greasing them it still made a crazy racket. So after poking around I noticed my passenger spring "is rubbing against the frame! I'm still kind of shocked as I hadn't heard or felt this noise after installing my lift in November (ish). It's so bad now I can feel it in the steering wheel. So I'm thinking it's really started with this warm weather.

Though if you see this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...spring+rubbing

you'll notice my bumpstop was rubbing and it looks like there's a little scuff mark on the frame so maybe it started shortly after installing the lift kit and got worse?

I did a search and did find this thread for a similar issue with a procomp 4 inch lift:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...spring+rubbing

But its a larger lift and different company so I wasn't sure if the same applied for me?

I followed the TF 2.5 BB write up here during installation:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

and my kit was one of the earlier ones that didn't have the rear trackbar relocation bracket or really anything for the front alignment included. I didn't see the need to get a front adjustable trackbar because I hadn't read of many people needing them with the axle's shifting so slightly either direction.

So...getting to the point..(sorry this issue has really frazzled me)

Following that procomp 4 inch lift rubbing thread could it be the following issues?

-Not enough negative caster?

"Try adjusting your caster. Not enough negative caster will cause a spring to bend like this just like too much negative caster will. Mine was bent like this and i adjusted the caster from 9.5 degrees to 6.5 and it straightened up."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Spring isn't seated properly? Or has rotated?

" i agree with both of you, it doesn't look like the spring is seated correctly. looks like it needs to be rotated counter clockwise about 3-4 inchs. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Could it be an issue with an earlier run with the 3" HD springs?

"Rough Country is now having an issue with coil spring failures. We have taken a second look at the front lower coil seat and the OE front coil design that we used to establish our first production runs and have determined that by changing the first 2 wraps of the front spring to follow the OE lower spring pad rise more closely will result in a coil with less bow. The OE coil and our first production runs that matched the OE design did not do as good a job following the lower mounting surface and resulted in the coil wanted to come out of the lower coil pocket in the direction opposite of the end of the lower coil wrap. Coil springs that bow slightly are not a performance issue, but do not look good and for us this was an easy issue to correct. Enhancing this coil design has taken longer than anticipated however with sampling and testing, and has resulted in a situation where we have been out of stock for a period of time and given that we have not been able to ship several rumors have developed."

OR simply is it just the axle has shifted FURTHER towards the driver's side?

I'm going to re-torque everything front and rear saturday and take the spring out and re-install it to see if it continues but what could have loosened up more allowing this rubbing to occur? Because I haven't felt this kind of CREAKING until now and I have done some winter wheeling with no sounds or creaking felt in the steering. And man it's noticable now BAD

Here's some shots to show what I'm talking about...

Passenger side far

Passenger side close

Compared to Driver's side close

Driver's side far

I guess the cool thing is both springs have a BOW to them in the same direction. So is this more the axle shifting causing it? What could I tighten to force it back towards the passenger side?

Also this may be part of the problem as something may of loosened up...look at the direction of my front tires. It appears I need an alignment because my tires appear to pointing in opposite directions like an old pair of boobies.

Straight on 1

Straight on 2

I appreciate any insight into this as I'm kind of a neophyte when it comes to suspension technology.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright I gotcha,
In the mean time is there anything I can tighten to move it over towards the passenger side if not a tiny bit?
And you know you're right, those springs are 3 inches so I guess I should of treated it almost like a 3 inch kit and gone with the stuff to realign the axle front and rear.

*bangs head on keyboard*
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good call,
That's funny because that's exactly what's been annoying me more. Up here exposed metal turns to rust QUICK (hell look at my springs after 5 months).

So I was thinking of my attack on how to resolve the exposed metal. I was thinking either rattle can black or some of that rubber undercoating sutff. Guess I should keep it simple and pop out the spring, paint the spring and the area rubbed with rattle can black and call it good.

Man seriously though..go figure.
I stare out the window at snow for 4 months and read this site every day about all these jeeps down south out wheeling all winter while I'm stuck staring at 6 foot snow banks.

The weather turns FINALLY and the FIRST TIME OUT I snap my winch line (thank you ARB for that winch line WEIGHT) and learn my passenger side spring is rubbing. I'm starting to believe those t-shirts that say Build it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT.

Ahh well its still freedom being outside...

And yeah looks like it's a front trackbar and rear relocation bracket and a 4 wheel alignment for me!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool ok
Thanks guys for the help
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Other than removing the springs and replacing with shorter or stock springs, there is nothing you can do--without drilling holes.

Just bite the bullet and find an adjustable front trackbar that will work with 3" springs that is not backordered. You should call Rustysoffroad, Northridge4x4, Redrock4x4, and/or TNT Customs/Treks to check pricing and see what is available immediately. They are less than $200 shipped.

You will want to clean off and paint the frame and maybe the springs where they rubbed. A rattle can, flat black, rust protecting paint purchased at Walmart will do the job.
What adjustable front trackbar would you guys recommend?

Is the Teraflex one fine? Odd their product catalog from their site lists the part number as 00153400 and shows a normal adjustable trackbar.
But Quadratec show's the TF front trackbar as having what looks like a gusset welded on the bottom?

I like the FT trackbar but are some having issues with binding?

Superlift and black diamond looks to be a pretty inexpensive solution yet they don't have a grease fitting.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

i just installed the tf hd bb last week (with stock rubicon tires) and have a similar issue. the front passennger side tire points to the right when the driver side points straight ahead (like yours in the photo you posted). this causes the jeep to drift to the right on the highway. i took it to the dealer twice this week and they say everything is withing specs and there is nothing they can do. does anyone know what is causing the tires to do this? and what can be done to correct it?

as far as the coils go, so far mine are straight (although the driver side coil is only 1/4" away from the sway bar link). i have taken it out and flexed it a bit and there seems to be no contact.

Last edited by silver rubicon; 04-25-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with the Tera or FT trackbars. Both are great. The binding issue you speak of on the FT bars is not really a problem, you just have to find their sweet spot when torquing. Even if you install an adj. trackbar in the front, I'm not sure that is going to completely fix your issues, that spring looks bad IMO.

Curious, looks like you're using the TF sway bar extensions on the front of yours, what are you using in the back?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nukeman
Nothing wrong with the Tera or FT trackbars. Both are great. The binding issue you speak of on the FT bars is not really a problem, you just have to find their sweet spot when torquing. Even if you install an adj. trackbar in the front, I'm not sure that is going to completely fix your issues, that spring looks bad IMO.

Curious, looks like you're using the TF sway bar extensions on the front of yours, what are you using in the back?
Im using the longer TF sway bar extensions in the rear. Oddly my kit came with both front and rear sway bar extensions. It's funny you asked and I had to actually go out and look. Once I saw the grease fitting on both front and rear I remembered mine came with both. So the longer ones are in the rear and the shorter ones are up front.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A front Adj. trackbar would help center your front axle better. You can use either one (normal or HD forged) but you would need 4" bumpstops in the front with the HD.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
A front Adj. trackbar would help center your front axle better. You can use either one (normal or HD forged) but you would need 4" bumpstops in the front with the HD.
Ok great I'll order one today.

Regarding the bumpstops, I purchased the complete HD Kit
"JK Wrangler 2.5" Heavy Duty Performance Budget Boost" Part number 001251000 2.5" HD JK Boost w/ shocks. So I'm assuming this kit contained the correct bumpstops? I couldn't find just bumpstops in your catalog so I wanted to make sure.

Again thanks for the reply, your assistance on this board and reputation is what convinced me to go with your product.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: TF 2.5 HD BB passenger coil spring rubbing