Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Textured Powder Coat??

Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Textured Powder Coat??

Just got a set of PSC flat fender flares and I want to paint match them up with my LOD bumpers. First off I want be doing the painting myself because I dont know how, so how do I communicate what I want to the body shop thats gonna be doing the work for me? Is there a textured automotive paint that you can buy?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Best bet is to contact LoD an ask the the EXACT powder coating they used for your bumpers, if they can give you a material brand or something thatd be best. Then call around and ask if your local powdercoaters have the same one. If they say they do, say it needs to be an exact match, make them guarantee their work, and get it in writing. If it doesnt turn out right, they either re-do it, or its on them and you take it elsewhere
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Textured Powder Coat??

The gear I wanted powder coated to match I took to the shop and asked them to match it. Owner knew what kind it was by looking at it. Matches perfectly. If you are in SoCal go to A to Z Metal Finishing.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

So Cal is really not an option for me seeing as how I'm roughly 2000 miles away so I'll give LoD a call and then check with the local body shops. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tell the shop you want a texture like bed-liner. That's what my LOD bumper looks like. I have touched up a few places on my bumper from trial damage, and it matches just about perfectly.
Or just scuff up the parts with sand paper, clean, and spray on some Duplicolor Spray-on bedliner. Costs about $8.00 a can. WAY cheaper than having somebody spray your parts at a body shop. And if they get scratched up, just spray some more on them!!

Anthony
Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Tell the shop you want a texture like bed-liner. That's what my LOD bumper looks like. I have touched up a few places on my bumper from trial damage, and it matches just about perfectly.
Or just scuff up the parts with sand paper, clean, and spray on some Duplicolor Spray-on bedliner. Costs about $8.00 a can. WAY cheaper than having somebody spray your parts at a body shop. And if they get scratched up, just spray some more on them!!

Anthony
This is what I did for my custom rear bumper and tire carrier, worked like a charm and holds up well, just prep it right

Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really am thinking long and hard about the rattle can bed liner spray because it is almost a perfect match and it would make touch ups a breeze but I am really ocd about things matching. I called LoD and they gave me the name of the powder coat they use- Rohm and Hass is the name of the brand and I found a powder coater a few miles from the house so I'll see what they sey next week.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

I am really partial to powder coating as in my area there is a lot of exposure to road salt and rust. It's just a lot more difficult for rust to start expanding beyond the initial point than paint. I still use paint to touch up my black rails and it's pretty easy to blend in with the matte black powder coat.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^agreed all that stuff just minus the salty roads problem.

Quick Reply: Textured Powder Coat??