Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Testing new Suspension

Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing new Suspension

I have a 2013 unlimited and installed a Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Flex and some 35s a couple of months ago. I have been leary about using it of road and have gone as far as to not go on a few trips because I have not tested it out yet. I installed the lift myself and I want to test stuff:

1. If I drop a tire off a ledge and extend the suspension, are my extended brake lines OK. Do my spring retainers work as they should?
2. If I stuff a wheel into the fender, will it touch?
3. If I drop the rear, will the breather hose pop off
4. Does it all work like it should?

How did you guys test your suspensions? I do not want to go to a trail and find an issue. I can not lift it well at home

Want to get my jeep back in use.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All those answers are typically had when you're installing the lift. You should cycle your suspension with the coils out.

If you didn't extend your breather hoses, they will likely be too short. Extend them or stay out of water when wheeling.

As for brake lines, jack the jeep up and put jack stands under the frame and let the axle droop all the way (pull tires if you can't get the jeep high enough).

As for rubbing fenders... Maybe tell us what fenders you're running, how much bump stop, tire size, and wheel back space. We can at least tell if there is a critical error. Beyond that, off-roading is a good way to find clearance issues.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size shocks did you go with?

After getting my RK3.5 installed w 37s, i cut the fenders and the pinch seam and took it to a trail to see if there were any problems. Only issue was needing more trimming of the pinch seam. I have 3" bumps and running king 2.5 adjustables for 4-6 inches of lift. I have had each wheel suspended and did not unseat the coils. Only issue after 4 more trails is needing to trim more pinch seam.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

simple way is go find a ramp and run up on forward and backward and check everything out. Won't be absolute but will give you an idea.

Last edited by jadmt; 08-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushfam5
I have a 2013 unlimited and installed a Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Flex and some 35s a couple of months ago. I have been leary about using it of road and have gone as far as to not go on a few trips because I have not tested it out yet. I installed the lift myself and I want to test stuff:

1. If I drop a tire off a ledge and extend the suspension, are my extended brake lines OK. Do my spring retainers work as they should?
2. If I stuff a wheel into the fender, will it touch?
3. If I drop the rear, will the breather hose pop off
4. Does it all work like it should?

How did you guys test your suspensions? I do not want to go to a trail and find an issue. I can not lift it well at home

Want to get my jeep back in use.

Thanks
I did something similar to what Jadmt did. Just drove around and found a steep hill, disconnected the sway bar and flexed it slowly. I checked as I inched up and made sure nothing was binding. The "right way" to do it would be to pull the springs out and move the axle through it's full range of motion, but the method I used worked for me and showed me where I had to make adjustments. Good Luck getting back on the trail soon!

-Ryan
Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Get a high lift jack and start jacking it up. Do each corner and center of the bumper front and rear. Do it on level ground, chock the wheels, and be careful if using a high lift for the first time as the jack is unstable at height. Do not get under the jeep when using a hi lift jack. This will give you a pretty good indication but pushing on stuff off road may show additional rubs. When fully drooped up front take note of the front driveshaft and any contact with the cross pipe.

Quick Reply: Testing new Suspension