Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Terraflex 2.5 lift

Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like they didn't tighten down something.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmasten
Sounds like they didn't tighten down something.
...or they didn't loosen and retorque the control arms (with the Jeep on the ground).
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Update:

Service Manager called to say the Jeep was ready to go. Said they found a "TSB" (some sort of technical bullitin or recall??) for the front steering damper and that mine was leaking. They replaced the steering damper with a (supposedly) more heavy duty model, and charged it all under warranty. I drove it around fifteen miles at various speeds and the death wobble did not happen, but the steering feels......loose.....for lack of a better term. It is definitely not as tight as it was before. Perhaps this is just a byproduct of the higher center of gravity. I know not.

The lift itself looks good. The front end was lifted exactly 2.5 inches and the rear was lifted 1.5 inches, which also levels out the factory rake.

I'm still concerned about the way the steering feels, but I don't think I'll be taking it back to the dealer for any more work, especially since my warranty runs out in 6k miles. There is a shop that specializes in 4x4s (Four Wheels Unlimited) about 30 miles from me. I may take it to them and let them check it out. I would have taken it to them to begin with, but wanted to try to preserve what was left of my warranty. I will definitely take it to them when I am ready to purchase new (bigger) tires.

Last edited by Goranothos; 08-11-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Final Update:

Turns out the dealership had left the passenger side front trackbar bolts loose (very loose).

I also don't believe their claim that the rear trackbar bracket wasn't in the box, since they "mysteriously" found one in the shop before the one Quadratec overnighted arrived. This "mysterious" bracket looks brand new to me.

They are now properly tightened and the steering is back to normal.

I will never be going back to their service dept and will most certainly be filling out the e-mail survey that Chrystler just sent me. I should have just bought a torque wrench and done it myself, like you guys suggested.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Can you run the kit with the Original wheels and tires WITHOUT wheel spacers ?

Or Do you need them to avoid the sway bar link from rubbing the rear tires ?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tuto
Can you run the kit with the Original wheels and tires WITHOUT wheel spacers ?

Or Do you need them to avoid the sway bar link from rubbing the rear tires ?
Had to install wheel spacers. I'm actually ok with that since I'm going to larger tires anyway when these wear out, and I will probably keep the stock wheels.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Dealership is sending me a check for $150, cause they screwed up. This doesn't begin to make up for my expenses, time, and trouble, but I'm not going to submit any online Chrystler survey now.

BTW, I did my own steering wheel centering today, in less than 30 minutes, despite paying $50 for a dealer alignment......
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loose steering can be corrected with longer control arms. You need to adjust caster since you lifted the vehicle.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, this definitely makes me feel like I will be tackling installing my own lift. Glad you're good to go now, sucks you had such a hard time getting to this point.

This just verifies my suspicions that dealerships are idiots/scammers!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

DO NOT DO NOT reply negative to that survey. Read wayolife's post on this issue. You may never receive warranty work again if you do.

Quick Reply: Terraflex 2.5 lift