Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tereflex HD hinge

Old 02-13-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do what a cheaper alternative that has better support than the teraflex, look at page 12 of this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...319775/page12/
Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beware that the way the Teraflex hinge is may affect how other tire carriers fit. You may have to trim. I did when I did my delete plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4008342603.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	672.3 KB
ID:	637549  
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I already have the TF hinge. Have been using it since it came out with a 35. I know the 37 is going to be too big if not adjusted upward. Hence wanting to use the Smitty tire carrier with the TF hinge. I think some get confused when talking about TF tire carrier, TF hinge
Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeptang
I already have the TF hinge. Have been using it since it came out with a 35. I know the 37 is going to be too big if not adjusted upward. Hence wanting to use the Smitty tire carrier with the TF hinge. I think some get confused when talking about TF tire carrier, TF hinge
Nope. I know what u are talking about. Carriers usually have a squarish flat base. The Teraflex hinge needs a more diamond shape (look at photo above and see how I tried the corners of the delete plate. Also it had raised ridges.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Search this topic on here. Guys saying you do not need one are just the lucky ones. I have a lot of guys posting their damaged gates with 35+ tires on only their 1st or 2nd trips. I did the rugged ridge version. Better safe than sorry unless you dont mind buying a new tail gate or having a body shop fix your current one when it buckles. Replacing the hinges does not support the entire gate either.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by busa250
Search this topic on here. Guys saying you do not need one are just the lucky ones. I have a lot of guys posting their damaged gates with 35+ tires on only their 1st or 2nd trips. I did the rugged ridge version. Better safe than sorry unless you dont mind buying a new tail gate or having a body shop fix your current one when it buckles. Replacing the hinges does not support the entire gate either.
couldn't disagree more. They have damage because due to the backspacing in their aftermarket wheels, or the spacer they install, their tire is sitting 2-3" off the tailgate jiggling around instead of flush and firmly pressed against bumps(just like the instructions on the TF hinge carrier will tell you). Adding cheap foam daystar extension isn't enough either.
If you have stock wheels you can do like I did and add a third bump to make it a little more snug( you just don't want it to jiggle) (see pic) if you have aftermarket wheels with more backspacing get an adjustable carrier like TF. But the hinges are a waste of money unless you got 37s or slabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3914810564.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	637972

I had a TF hinge carrier on my last jeep, no complaints. BUT it's a waste of $700 that is better spent elsewhere
Old 02-17-2016, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

after 60,000 miles I do not consider my tf hinge a waste. If I had my jeep stolen I would replace it with one just like I have including the hinge. Most everybody I wheel has one and I have yet to hear anyone regret getting one. I agree if you are going to delete the spare not necessary or if you don't wheel hard you probably can get by fine. we do extended trips 3 or 4 times a year ie Moab, Rubicon, Colorado etc and wheel locally almost weekly. could I have been fine without? perhaps but never once have I regretted getting it. I also like that it keeps my tailgate from swinging too far open when on a slope. I have seen tailgates over extend doing this and the TF hinge keeps that from happening.

Last edited by jadmt; 02-17-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am a staunch supporter of teraflex. I love their product, love their customer service, love their ideas. I did however buy the morRyde hinges as I am not hanging a huge tire off the back, and I needed just some new hinges to ditch the stock crap. I still have to get around to adding the MBRP re-enforcement inside the tailgate for the carrier. With this setup, I figure that I should be fine to install the titan tank, and my stock wheel. That's all that will ever be hanging off my tailgate.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

40k on my TF hinge and no problems.
Don't really need a squawking match over it being a waste of money.400ish bucks from 4x4groupbuy is money well spent.

Moving on topic though.......
Asked about tire holder options paired with this TF hinge. Keep on point please.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mds22
couldn't disagree more. They have damage because due to the backspacing in their aftermarket wheels, or the spacer they install, their tire is sitting 2-3" off the tailgate jiggling around instead of flush and firmly pressed against bumps(just like the instructions on the TF hinge carrier will tell you). Adding cheap foam daystar extension isn't enough either.
If you have stock wheels you can do like I did and add a third bump to make it a little more snug( you just don't want it to jiggle) (see pic) if you have aftermarket wheels with more backspacing get an adjustable carrier like TF. But the hinges are a waste of money unless you got 37s or slabs.

Attachment 637972

I had a TF hinge carrier on my last jeep, no complaints. BUT it's a waste of $700 that is better spent elsewhere
Couldnt agree more.

Any more info on how you did that third bump.

And as far as a carrier, you should look at the stock one, just cut the top so the tire fits

Quick Reply: Tereflex HD hinge