Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TereFlex 3" Long Arm Kit

Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TereFlex 3" Long Arm Kit

Most of you on this board are probably aware of this but I fiuredI would throw it out there for any other newbie like me that somehow missed it. I have read thread after thread trying to figure out which kit I was going to get and finally decided on the TereFlex Elite 3" Long Arm. By the way, if you decide to buy one of TereFlex's kits with the 9550 shocks they are on back order for a bit. Good excuse for me to buy Bilstein 5100s.

If you plan to purchase a TereFlex Long Arm Kit you need to pay special attention to this note. The TeraFlex Elite LCG 3in Long Arm Kit is designed to fit up to 35in tires(aftermarket wheels with 4.5in backspacing or less is required).

I called TereFlex to get more detail on this note. I have the 18" Rubi wheels with Bridgestone tires on my X. I was told they will not work. The tie-rods will make contact with the wheels. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

So if you are like me and you saved money for the lift, make sure you have the money for the tires and wheels at the same time. I know most people do both at the same time anyway.

I have the money for the tires but wanted to use it for the RIPP long tube headers and MBRP Cat Back.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could just get some wheel spacers and keep the wheels!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

OEM wheels have 6 inch backspacing and you need 4.5 or less to make up for the wider tires. If you want to keep your OEM wheels, you will need 1.5" wheel spacers. Pretty much every lift that I know of requires 4.5" of backspacing or less.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by curtisc19
Pretty much every lift that I know of requires 4.5" of backspacing or less.
I am finding that out now. It has probably been said but I somehow missed it. I thought about spacers but I believe the 255/70R/18s are like 32" diameter and not sure how well they will fill the wheel well after the lift. I will use this as an excuse to buy new tires and wheels.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by curtisc19
Pretty much every lift that I know of requires 4.5" of backspacing or less.
Doesn't even stock height with wider tires require spacers? I don't think it has anything to do with the lift, it's the width of the tires.

You could run that lift with the stock wheels and factory width tires.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranjr
Doesn't even stock height with wider tires require spacers? I don't think it has anything to do with the lift, it's the width of the tires.

That is what I was thinking in the beginning. Backspacing is required when you buy a wider tire to prevent the width of the tire moving inward and contacting anything.

I was going to buy new tires anyway but need another month to secured the funds. I think I will be ok to wait
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

Your Rubi has 18" wheels? I thought all Rubi's came with 17" wheels. Anyway, as mentioned I would just get spacers and run bigger rubber. Running Rubi 32" tires with a TF 3" LA would, at least in my opinion, look pretty odd.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+wheel+spacers

Also click on the Advanced Search word...upper right and enter spidertrax.......lots to read

Party On!

P.S. also check this out....
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=2.5+lifts

Last edited by RKracing; 10-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranjr

Yes, even at stock height you would need spacers with wider tires...but I don't know if they even make a 12.5" wide tire in that small of a size? lol
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing will contact the tie rods with the Teraflex 3" lift. You'd be using the stock tie rod. Teraflex either made a misprint or someone who doesn't know tech made an assumption. I ran stock 17" wheels with 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial Claws when I first installed my 3" Teraflex longarm kiut, and the tires rubbed slightly on the frame rails at full lock, and the top of the spring perch at full up travel. But it was 100% driveable. I just adjusted the steering stops till I had a set of spacers installed.

Quick Reply: TereFlex 3" Long Arm Kit