Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tereflex 1.5" Budget Leveling kit question and pic requests

Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
You might already know this, but keep in mind that the Teraflex kit does not actually fit the Rubicon models without modifying your swaybar (at least on the 2010, not sure about your 2011). The pre-installed bolt that comes with the new sway bar links is too large of a diameter and will not fit into the swaybar unless you ream up the hole. Teraflex knows about this (they knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I called them), yet they don't make it known in their instructions and they don't tell you that when ordering the kit. They basically let you figure it out for yourself because they're too lazy to do anything about it. And when you call wondering WTF is going on, they basically tell you it's your problem, deal with it.

Might sound stupid to some, but for this reason alone I'll never buy anything again with the Teraflex name on it. There are too many other good companies out there who make quality products and treat their customers better.
Is it only this kit? What about the Budget boost??
Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aesop00019
Is it only this kit? What about the Budget boost??
So maybe I'm confused, but I thought the 1.5" leveling kit is what most people referred to as the "budget boost."

In any case, this is the only Teraflex kit I have experience with so I can't comment on anything else they offer.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So maybe I'm confused, but I thought the 1.5" leveling kit is what most people referred to as the "budget boost."
no, they are not the same. Well not really. A budget boost, typically 2.5", is a rubber like spacer that goes on top of your springs to add height. The cheaper leveling kit uses this method. My kit is the performance leveling kit that uses new springs instead.

The end link problem you mentioned is well known on the forum and there is supposedly a new set of directions that discuss this issue. Teraflex makes excellent products and I would not hesitate to buy from them. However there are a number of other excellent companies out there.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SBEII
The end link problem you mentioned is well known on the forum and there is supposedly a new set of directions that discuss this issue. Teraflex makes excellent products and I would not hesitate to buy from them. However there are a number of other excellent companies out there.
Yeah, I found out it was a known issue after the fact. I am a new member here and within a week of signing up on the forum I had purchased the kit. I should have spent more time reading user reviews rather than looking at Teraflex's website for accurate info on their products. Yep. That's sarcasm.

I can tell you that there was certainly no mention of this in their instructions as of three weeks ago. But that's not even the real issue. A stand up company should correct issues like this, not push the burden onto their customers and let them find out after the fact. Teraflex knows about the issue, so why not fix it? How hard can it be to do one of the following...either create a new P/N kit specific to the Rubicon with the correct sized stud on the end links, or put a damn asterisk next to the P/N on their website saying modifications are required for Rubicon fitment? At least that way their prospective customers would know what they are getting into, and they can make the choice before ordering the product if they want to oversize a hole in their swaybar. For me, it's all about knowing what you're getting into and not being needlessly suprised by something that is already a known issue.

Nothing irritates me more than tearing into a project and getting the new install 95% complete before realizing I can't continue because of something like this. By the time I got the kit removed and re-installed the stock parts, that was half a Saturday gone.

Seriously, Teraflex...how expensive could it be to put that note on your website, catalogs, etc? You made an extra $30 off me when I had to buy another one of your end links because I damaged the threads on the first one trying to make it fit, so perhaps you could put that toward the cost...

Sorry for the hijack.

/rant

Last edited by ChrisJ; 09-14-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4040469909.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	366139

I had the same problem with the tight stud from the kit. I just kept beating the end with a rubber mallett and once I got enough thread through the mount I was able to use the nut to get it through the rest of the way.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cavjock22
Attachment 366139

I had the same problem with the tight stud from the kit. I just kept beating the end with a rubber mallett and once I got enough thread through the mount I was able to use the nut to get it through the rest of the way.
Sounds like you lucked out. Is yours a 2010 as well? Perhaps your swaybar holes were on the larger end of the tolerance spec. Glad it worked out for you. I tried the same thing, and that's how I wound up having to order another one.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you lucked out. Is yours a 2010 as well? Perhaps your swaybar holes were on the larger end of the tolerance spec. Glad it worked out for you. I tried the same thing, and that's how I wound up having to order another one.
Mine is a 2012 JK. Not sure but it was definitely a tight fit. I figured they were designed that way.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

I got lucky. It was a very tight fit. I figured it was designed like that.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBEII
The spacers are more for the width. I'm running spacers with my 35x12.50s.
What size wheel do you have those 35x12.50's installed on 17x9 or 18x8.5?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRif

What size wheel do you have those 35x12.50's installed on 17x9 or 18x8.5?
I'm running the factory 17" Moabs.

Quick Reply: Tereflex 1.5" Budget Leveling kit question and pic requests