Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex vs. Black Diamond

Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also trying to decide between the Black Diamond 3" and the Teraflex 3" kits in the early summer. I ended up buying the Black Diamond kit and added Currie adjustable front lower control arms instead of using the cam bolds.

The reason I chose the Black Diamond was because they got great reviews in the magazines pluss the overal cost was less than the Teraflex by the time you add a front track bar and front lower control arms.

I do believe that the Teraflex has some better parts in there kit though, such as longer stainless brake lines versus relocating brackets, and a better designed rear track bracket. But price was an isue at the time and if and when I can upgrade later.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottK
I downloaded the catalog and see all the different kits. I want to stick with the short arm. It looks like the kits are all the same except for the amount of arms that are included, which is one of my questions - with the 3" kit, what are the disadvantages of not installing adjustable control arms and what are the benefits of each - (front upper/lower, rear upper/lower)? I also have a couple of other questions, none of these kits look like they include an adjustable front track bar, but most people feel it's needed with this amount of lift, is it not in the kit because it's not really necessary. My other question is - if an adjustable rear trackbar is installed is it still necessary to use the trackbar relocation bracket?

Thanks Teraflex and everyone for your replies. I've read nothing but great things about Teraflex and am 99% sure I'll be installing one these kits. Just want to be sure I get the right one.
Correct there's no trackbar in our 3" kits, but I would get one. The benefit of a 8 arm kits is flexibility off road, and being able to set you pinion angles easier. With one set of arms, your flex is limited to the stock arms limitations. If you have a 2 door, go with the 8 arm kit, unlimited a 4 or 8 arm kit. Alot depends on what you want to do with the JK. Some JK dealers/shops just buy the cheap kit to get the looks. Some customers start off with the basic 3" because of cost then add arms/trackbars later on. We like how the JK's handle with a rear trackbar bracket vs. a adj. rear trackbar. Give me a call if you need. Joe
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doc307
I cannot even come close to answering your question but I just put the 2.5" Teraflex Coil Lift on my 2dr and ended up with almost 4" of lift. I have not added an adjustable trackbar but I probably will. My front end did not shift very far, right around 1/4" but I am the type of person that will let that bother me. The main thing you need to watch out for is the fact you have an Automatic which poses a problem when you lift pass 3". I also have a heavy front bumper and winch and love my setup. With 3" lift you should be able to clear 35's as long as you have the correct backspacing on your wheels. If you stay with your stock wheels you are going to need spacers. Hopefully some others will give you better insight.
i have the same lift and got the same results. i LOVE the ride on and off the road. also, the customer service is EXCELLENT!!! and that does make a biggg deal.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The great thing about this site is when you ask a question you will get plenty of opinions and the same hold true in this case. Also everyone who has answered has given a reason to back up their opinion

So here is mine, I went with TF Ultimate 4 inch lift for the following reasons, these reason also held true when I was looking at a 3 inch lift and should be considered regardless of brand

1-Customer service, TF may not be the only vendor that does a great job of this, but they are certainly one of the best.
2-Made in the USA, this was and is still very important to me.
3-If I take baby steps do they make the needed (wanted) parts to upgrade in the future or will I need to source from multiple vendors
4-Do they take shortcuts with part quality to keep the price down

So even though this is a 3" question I jumped to the 4" because the additional cost was minumal and I only wanted to do this once.

I am very happy with the parts quality and ride on my lift, I am not sure it could be done any better
Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wiredawg_mg
The great thing about this site is when you ask a question you will get plenty of opinions and the same hold true in this case. Also everyone who has answered has given a reason to back up their opinion

So here is mine, I went with TF Ultimate 4 inch lift for the following reasons, these reason also held true when I was looking at a 3 inch lift and should be considered regardless of brand

1-Customer service, TF may not be the only vendor that does a great job of this, but they are certainly one of the best.
2-Made in the USA, this was and is still very important to me.
3-If I take baby steps do they make the needed (wanted) parts to upgrade in the future or will I need to source from multiple vendors
4-Do they take shortcuts with part quality to keep the price down

So even though this is a 3" question I jumped to the 4" because the additional cost was minumal and I only wanted to do this once.

I am very happy with the parts quality and ride on my lift, I am not sure it could be done any better
I agree! This is a great site and hearing all of the different opinions from everybody that have installed and used these kits is awesome.

I have no doubt that both of these kits are great kits, so it will mostly come down to service, upgradabilty, and lastly price. I am willing to spend a little more if I feel I can get better service, and I will most likely have to take some "baby steps" and upgrade some parts later.

Wiredawg_mg, you said you went with the Teraflex Ultimate 4", I don't see that kit in the catalog. Were you referring to the Elite longarm kit, or the 4" with full flexarms? I am actually wanting a 4" kit (I like the look of 35s with a 4" kit and would not have to worry about any rubbing) but was leaning toward a 3" kit and a 1" Body lift. Do you have any pics of your Jeep so I can see how the kit looks with 35s?

Thanks again everyboday!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottK
I agree! This is a great site and hearing all of the different opinions from everybody that have installed and used these kits is awesome.

I have no doubt that both of these kits are great kits, so it will mostly come down to service, upgradabilty, and lastly price. I am willing to spend a little more if I feel I can get better service, and I will most likely have to take some "baby steps" and upgrade some parts later.

Wiredawg_mg, you said you went with the Teraflex Ultimate 4", I don't see that kit in the catalog. Were you referring to the Elite longarm kit, or the 4" with full flexarms? I am actually wanting a 4" kit (I like the look of 35s with a 4" kit and would not have to worry about any rubbing) but was leaning toward a 3" kit and a 1" Body lift. Do you have any pics of your Jeep so I can see how the kit looks with 35s?

Thanks again everyboday!
It is the 4" short arm kit with all 8 arms and HD front track bar. It wasn't a budget kit, but it lacked for nothing. I was on the fence for a long time about how to proceed, buy the basic lift , then add the 4 arms and then get the other 4 and so on. It would have driven me crazy so I just took the plunge and got it overwith Glad that I did, I really don't like to compromise Click the link for some pics

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery...00&ppuser=2065

Quick Reply: Teraflex vs. Black Diamond