Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex vs. Black Diamond

Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex vs. Black Diamond

Hi everybody, I found this site a while back and have been spending countless hours trying to absorb all the great info that’s available here. When I bought my 2008 Rubicon Unlimited (Auto transmission) I thought that I would just buy the Jeep and go off road. Needless to say, this site has made me see the light! Now I realize that I “need” at least a 3” lift, 35” tires, offroad bumpers, skids, a winch, etc, etc. I don’t plan on any hardcore rock crawling, but will be running moderate trails, mostly in Colorado.

Anyway, my question for all of you is concerning which lift to get. I want to go with a coil lift, so I think I’m down to either the Teraflex or Black Diamond 3”. Can anybody give me a good comparison of the two? If I ended up using the Black Diamond, I would not use the cams that are supplied in the kit. The Teraflex kit doesn’t include cams or control arms, the way I understand it I should at least get adjustable front lowers, correct? The Black Diamond kit also includes an adjustable front track bar that’s not included in the Teraflex kit, is this really needed with a 3" lift and if so why wouldn't it be included? Is 3” really enough for 35” tires, it seems like some people have some rubbing with this setup and some don’t.

I need to keep this as inexpensive as possible, but want to do it right and be able to upgrade as the budget permits. What components should I really get to start off to avoid any issues, and what should be added on later?

Sorry for all the questions at once, I have used search, but am still slightly confused on these questions.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I cannot even come close to answering your question but I just put the 2.5" Teraflex Coil Lift on my 2dr and ended up with almost 4" of lift. I have not added an adjustable trackbar but I probably will. My front end did not shift very far, right around 1/4" but I am the type of person that will let that bother me. The main thing you need to watch out for is the fact you have an Automatic which poses a problem when you lift pass 3". I also have a heavy front bumper and winch and love my setup. With 3" lift you should be able to clear 35's as long as you have the correct backspacing on your wheels. If you stay with your stock wheels you are going to need spacers. Hopefully some others will give you better insight.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got any questions? Give me a call wednesday. Actually there are 8 different 3" TeraFlex kits, some have arms some don't. If you get a chance download our 2008 TeraFlex catalog.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 11-04-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

TeraFlex's customer service is second to none. That is worth a lot.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex all the way man. The 3" will clear 35's fine. If you run the factory wheels you'll need to get some spacers. You could even go with the 2.5" coil lift, it would give you 3"of lift and be fine with 35's too.I would also get a JKS front adjustable track bar with either kit.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Got any questions? Give me a call wednesday. Actually there are 8 different 3" TeraFlex kits, some have arms some don't. If you get a chance download our 2008 TeraFlex catalog.
I downloaded the catalog and see all the different kits. I want to stick with the short arm. It looks like the kits are all the same except for the amount of arms that are included, which is one of my questions - with the 3" kit, what are the disadvantages of not installing adjustable control arms and what are the benefits of each - (front upper/lower, rear upper/lower)? I also have a couple of other questions, none of these kits look like they include an adjustable front track bar, but most people feel it's needed with this amount of lift, is it not in the kit because it's not really necessary. My other question is - if an adjustable rear trackbar is installed is it still necessary to use the trackbar relocation bracket?

Thanks Teraflex and everyone for your replies. I've read nothing but great things about Teraflex and am 99% sure I'll be installing one these kits. Just want to be sure I get the right one.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed a Teraflex kit and I can say that I am really satisfied with everything. I do not believe you can go wrong with Teraflex.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

I will be the black sheep here. I have the black diamond 3" lift. I gained over 4inches of lift. The black diamond kit is a really nice, basic kit. It comes with everything you do and some stuff dont need. The big selling point is the adjustable front trackbar. This thing is beefy. The coils are pretty heavy duty (they are teh same as the superlift 4inch coils).

Now, The parts I didn't use:

The cams: My steering was not affected at all by this lift. The steering felt solid (until my stabilizer died this week).

The rear track bar bracket. I purchased the teraflex monster trackbar bracket for the rear. This bracket is solid as hell.

I am using Pro Comp ES9000 shocks with this lift. the combo with the coils gives the jk a nice and solid feeling on the road. No wondering, no bumpsteer. Its a good kit to get a starter lift and move onto bigger things.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the Superlift 4" kit. They are not the same springs as the black diamond 3" kit as stated above. The 4" kit pushes way over the 5" mark untill you add bumpers and winches and roof racks and 37" spare tires and tools and... you get the point.

As far as the superlift kit or black diamond. I installed the cams. The reason people warn you to stay away from them is because they can loosen up. Well... every other part on this thing will loosen up when you wheel it... so what's one more bolt to check. I actually just had it lined up and have tack welded the washers in place so no matter what loosens my alignment will remain the same.

If you do buy the superlift kit. Spend the money and buy the Bilstien shocks. Worth every penny. Mine rides better now then it did stock. Guys who have spent a lot more money on lift kits have watched this thing in action and have been very impressed. With stock arms out flexing a rubicon with a rubicon express 4.5" lift kit and 3" bigger tires then I have. I've also been asked many many times what is under there by the guy behind me on the trail. Watching these shocks respond so well on the trail.

For the rear. I don't like the standard rear trac bar bracket. I am using the Superlift adjustable rear trackbar. However, after you pass 3" of lift in the rear you will need to use a bracket as well as the adjustable bar. Superlift has a new beefy rear track bar bracket on the way soon. If it's not shipping yet.

As for customer service. The guys at superlift have been incredible. I had a few unique issues to deal with. And these guys stepped up and took care of everything and then some. Thank you Mike!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I have the black diamond and love it

I put the Black Diamond on my 4dr sahara and love it. I ride on 35" BFGs, added Rancho shocks and superlift disco's. It has been a great lift, drives great on and off pavement, and would highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: Teraflex vs. Black Diamond