Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier vs Aluminum Genright Carrier...

Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Teraflex Tire Carrier vs Aluminum Genright Carrier...

Need a carrier for a 37" toyo on steel rim (120lb combo). Comparing these 2 options because I have a PSC BFH rear and cannot use a bumper dependent carrier. Saw there have been issues with the Teraflex, and I like the look of the Genright. But having a carrier that opens in one step with the tailgate sounds good too.

Any thoughts? Both of these options are rather expensive, are there any other aluminum carriers also?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the genright and I love it. I like the cage look to it. It was an easy install and extremely durable.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Need a carrier for a 37" toyo on steel rim (120lb combo). Comparing these 2 options because I have a PSC BFH rear and cannot use a bumper dependent carrier. Saw there have been issues with the Teraflex, and I like the look of the Genright. But having a carrier that opens in one step with the tailgate sounds good too.

Any thoughts? Both of these options are rather expensive, are there any other aluminum carriers also?

Same boat I'm in, rear psc bfh bumper as well. Im leaning towards the genright as I plan to run a 40in tire later down the road. The teraflex might work just fine. No personal experience but from my research you'd want a newer gen one for the added gussets to support heavier tires, and of course make 100% sure its setup right. Seems the majority of the ones that break are user error.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Biginboca

Another option would be the OR-Fab tire carrier w/Rotopax. I just bought and installed it this past weekend. It wasn't a bad install at all. I am running 37in MT/R's. Just a thought.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View 2.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	533823Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View 1.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	533824

rock
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another vote for genright right here. I love the look of mine and its very solid. The only problem with the orfab that was posted above is (in my opinion) it sits to far off the rear
Old 02-27-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Do some more checking on the Teraflex unit before you buy. There is some information on another forum on a different website that talks about the TF occasionally breaking which poses a potential safety issue. The thread was started over a year ago but there are current postings in it. Based on what I've read in that same thread (no personal experience) TF has made some changes to the carrier since then. Just please double check before you shell out the money.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The teraflex has had some breakage issues with the adjustable tire carrier portion. It could have been attributed to poor welds or poor installation as you need to snug the tire as close to the tailgate as possible. The guys from teraflex check these forums frequently and offer a free exchange with any failure of their tire carrier systems with proof of breakage. The gen right carrier is bad ass but for my purpose it's a pain in the ass to open and close if you're in and out of the tailgate a lot. I've run the teraflex for 9 months now with a 37" nitto trail grappler on a Hutchinson beadlock. It's a heavy, heavy set up. I don't have any rattles and I just inspected the whole carrier when I swapped it onto my new jeep and it's all intact. I don't think it'd survive a direct hit coming down into a rock but I'll deal with that when it happens.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the tf carrier and didn't have good luck with it, but TERAFLEX'S AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE (i mean this sincerely) took care of the faulty piece(s). After reinstallation, i test swung my gate closed and the tire still jiggled with the 140lbs spare. before the risk of ruining another mount i sold it.

And now I'm happy you started this thread because I've been really looking into the genright aluminum carrier. The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the bent aluminum. Last winter the aluminum on my buddy's ski tower blew out after a bend and this winter the ski tower on my boat did the same in two spots. Now I haven't seen or heard anything like this happen to the genright carrier, but after seeing the damage to my boat, it worries me, after all the reason why i want this carrier is because my previous one kept breaking.

I know companies only make suspension links out of aluminum if there are no bends, but im sure solid bar and tubing act different. If someone could chime in on the strenghts of bent aluminum tubing that would be nice, or just anyone who has had the genright for a while and experiences all the seasons.

And i know, if im worried about the aluminum get the steel
Old 02-27-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would go with the teraflex, customer service is a huge deal for me and teraflex has that down. Everyone there is awesome.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Love the teraflex run 295/75r16 on this carrier in summer plus rotopax!

Name:	image-827861627.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	533902

Name:	image-3139207447.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	533903

Got the small winter tires on now:(

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier vs Aluminum Genright Carrier...