Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Well my JKU doesn't have any damage, but I am grateful for the clarification. Looks as though the TF hinge is next on my list to buy.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm starting to think I'll need the adjustable carrier not just the hinge. I switched to 287/75R17, a 34 tire, on wheels with 4.5 backspacing ...right now its not touching the tailgate anymore so I ordered the TF hinge but...I guess I'll need the adjustable carrier too to bring it back in??

Or maybe those Daystar extended bump stops will work?

Why did this happen is my tire not wide enough? I thought 4.5 backspacing is super common. Do you always need the adjustable part for 4.5 backspaced wheels?

Thanks...

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Our Hinged Tire Carrier isn't relying upon the tailgate for carrying any of the weight. Plus it's tied into the tire carrier mount directly to carry the load. So basically you could just install both the HD hinge portion with the Tire Carrier and not need the tailgate itself to carry the tire. Short of not having a latch this would work. Unlike the OEM setup, the tailgate is needed to connect all 3 items( Tailgate, Hinges,Tire Carrier) together.

With a 35" tire you can run it either way. Yes you can use the factor bracket with the HD Hinge (#4838100). But that will not allow you to pull the spare in against the tailgate, so it will act as leverage against the stock carrier. So if you just use the Adjustable Mount (#4838130) you can pull the spare in nice and snug. Then your relying upon the stock hinges and the tailgate to carry the load.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any more questions.

Joe
Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by armandov99
So I'm starting to think I'll need the adjustable carrier not just the hinge. I switched to 287/75R17, a 34 tire, on wheels with 4.5 backspacing ...right now its not touching the tailgate anymore so I ordered the TF hinge but...I guess I'll need the adjustable carrier too to bring it back in?? Or maybe those Daystar extended bump stops will work? Why did this happen is my tire not wide enough? I thought 4.5 backspacing is super common. Do you always need the adjustable part for 4.5 backspaced wheels? Thanks...
The tire was pushed aft the difference of the 4.5" back spacing and the factory wheel back spacing of around 6".
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Not sure you"need" the adjustable carrier, but it does complete the package. 4.5 backspace wheels do the same for the tailgate that they do for your steering, do some sort of bracing is required.
I wouldn't recommend the Daystar bumpers, they're pretty cheesy.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I mean I knew the wheel would get pushed out... It makes sense due to the difference in BS.

Does anyone use this without adjustable carrier with 4.5 back spaced wheels? I guess only when you keep stock wheels but it seems the most common is aftermarket. I will probably end up getting the adjustable part so it'll be tight on the gate but at that point I would have maybe just gone with the ace bumper. Though it is nice not to have to open two latched to get in the tailgate...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by armandov99
Yeah I mean I knew the wheel would get pushed out... It makes sense due to the difference in BS.

Does anyone use this without adjustable carrier with 4.5 back spaced wheels? I guess only when you keep stock wheels but it seems the most common is aftermarket. I will probably end up getting the adjustable part so it'll be tight on the gate but at that point I would have maybe just gone with the ace bumper. Though it is nice not to have to open two latched to get in the tailgate...
I did for a while you just need to stick a tennis ball or similar between the stock rubber bump and the tire and the tire and the TF hinge to keep the tire from vibrating which will end up breaking your carrier. I have since gotten the TF adjustable carrier and I am glad I got it as it pulls the spare in closer to the tailgate.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?