Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in purchasing one also. Although I do not completely understand how it works, I know it does and takes a huge amount of stress off the tailgate. My buddy put one on his JKU with 37 BFG KM2's. Before he had the 37 just on the tailgate and while I opened and closed the gate, I could feel the weight and pressure on the gate. After the Teraflex kit was installed, the gate moved smoothly and it opened and closed twice as easy. Hardly any resistance from the weight. This is what sold me.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtguy1
probably because that question needs to be addressed to the manufacturer. you expect a physicist or an engineer to pop on here and spell it out for you? TeraFlex will be happy to answer your questions with a very simple phone call, then you can be the first to post this info for the non-believers.
The question was addressed to the manufacturer on this forum multiple times with no response. Why would a physicist be needed? That's a little overkill don't ya think? But, by the way YOU talk about this carrier, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus was involved in the design.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for anyone that's un-sure or concerned about how well the carrier works. Try one that someone else has on their JK, see and feel one in action and you won't have any questions. edit: Those that insist these carriers 'don't work' or are 'a gimmick', obviously have never seen or used one in person on a JK, thus have no real valid opinion of how the carrier works- period.

Last edited by k0260; 10-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crazyhorse02
The question was addressed to the manufacturer on this forum multiple times with no response. Why would a physicist be needed? That's a little overkill don't ya think? But, by the way YOU talk about this carrier, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus was involved in the design.
sorry bud, im a non believer. but the way i talk about it? i have have simply stated that it works and have reiterated that point several times. a physicist? i figure some fancy formula might be better for u. do u not have a phone? wtf? CALL THEM. they get a ton of questions on several forums and I'm positive they will answer your ?'s maybe u should buy something that "you" think works since u don't wanna listen to the experiences of countless members are u hoping someone chimes in to tell u what you wanna hear, that it doesn't work?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

I am no physicist (thank goodness) and I only play an engineer at work, I actually work down the street from teraflex. At home I am a jeeper. Maybe I can shed some light on the baffling question. The teraflex hinge is carrying ALL the weight. But mister jeeper only half the tire carrier is attached to the hinge? Well, the other half of the tire carrier is attached to the gate which is directly attaches to the hinge. I would be willing to bet with some different bolts and nuts you could secure the carrier just to the hinge minus the gate all together and it would hang there just fine. The moment is being transfered to the new hinge, not to the tailgate like the stock configuration. It may seem kind of hard to understand but with this hinge the tailgate is only acting as some nuts and keeping stuff from falling out the back.

Am I gonna run out to buy one, nope, I am way too cheap.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rtguy1
sorry bud, im a non believer. but the way i talk about it? i have have simply stated that it works and have reiterated that point several times. a physicist? i figure some fancy formula might be better for u. do u not have a phone? wtf? CALL THEM. they get a ton of questions on several forums and I'm positive they will answer your ?'s maybe u should buy something that "you" think works since u don't wanna listen to the experiences of countless members are u hoping someone chimes in to tell u what you wanna hear, that it doesn't work?
Chill out "bud", it's just a jeep part. I'll take your advice and just call the manufacturer everytime I have any concern over any part. I mean, a modified tech forum that was created for JK owners to specifically discuss JK modifications is so outdated.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Chill out "bud", it's just a jeep part. I'll take your advice and just call the manufacturer everytime I have any concern over any part. I mean, a modified tech forum that was created for JK owners to specifically discuss JK modifications is so outdated.
now u are simply trolling. did i say call a manufacturer everytime u have a question? no. i said call tf about this question since members have failed to satisfy your curiosity and tf has not responded to your question in the forum. just forget about the tf carrier....it doesn't work
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

But, by the way YOU talk about this carrier, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus was involved in the design.
He brings up something as dramatic as jesus and now YOU are the one whos is supposed to chill out? That's funny.

As far as the tf carrier goes, I haven't seen a single negative review from anyone who actually has this installed on their jeep. Where are you at negative reviewers?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

I have the TF carrier installed with a 37" tire and WOW! It is so solid and you can feel how little resistance is on the factory tailgate. I used to have a 35" on the stock carrier and it is night and day.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody really has answered that question and I doubt ever will. I'm with you on this one. If the hinge really was the answer, why wouldn't OR-Fab, gen-right, Evo or any other manufacturer who utilizes similar mounting points mount the tire on the tailgate? It just seems gimmicky to me. The tailgate might not sag but your tailgate will still be warped from the weight of an oversized tire. I mean Smittybilt has a similar heavy duty tire carrier that raises the tire and is made of steel and mounts just the same as the Teraflex. That piece has been out for over two years and yet this carrier is being received as some ground breaking invention. The hinge is a hinge. Just my .02.
The new HD hinged piece/hinges takes up all the weight. The tailgate doesn't warp from the weight at all, as it doesn't have any on it. Which Smittybilt bumper are you talking about? I'm not seeing one that mounts like ours.

QUESTIONS? PLEASE CALL!!1-888-837-2359 ext 308 Joe

Last edited by TeraFlex; 10-17-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?