Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping someone can help me with a couple questions and sorry if this has been addressed already but trying to save time going through 65 pages. Any help would be appreciated!

1) I am planning on purchasing the rotopax mount that attaches to the hi lift jack and wondering if when the can is attached if there is any clearance issues opening the glass on a hard top? Planning on using a 3 gallon can.

2) Has anyone had issues aligning the mounting holes with their jack? I could barely line up the bolts that came with the jack mount and there was no way a rotopax handle would align which was a bummer as this was my preferred way to mount so I could lock it, ended up having to drill a hole and use a pad lock?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Armergedon007
Anyone mount a jerrycan instead of a rotopax to this hinge?
I had a three gallon on it and didn't like it as it doesn't sit flush with the bottom so all weight is on the handle. Also the tailgate wont open all the way without the can hitting the tail light, yes I know it is not meant for a three gallon can.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to get a 3 gallon to fit would require it to be mounted up higher on the high-lift. Otherwise it will hit the tail light. Now there are several LED tail light kits out there that might get you the clearance needed as an option.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Paint coming off hinge bracket

I've had my carrier on for one winter and at the top of the hinge all the paint came up and has rust stain all around, as I understand the rust stain is from the use of non stainless washers.

I love the carrier otherwise, just disappointed with the rust stains and the paint coming up off the hinge brackets as it looks like crap....
Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have asked this in another thread but I am still looking for a definitive answer. I have heard that I'll need a spacer with the stock rubicon wheel and stock mount on the teraflex unit. I have heard I won't need a spacer unless using the teraflex adjustable mount. I'm just wanting to make sure I do it right the first time. If I use the stock mount and a spacer, which one works best? I see teraflex makes a 1.25" or I can get a 1.5" spidertrax. Which one keeps the tire in the best place when the gate is closed?

Again, I'm planning on keeping the stock rubicon wheel and running 315/70/17 duratracs. Do I go with....

- Teraflex tire carrier with stock mount and no spacer
- Teraflex tire carrier with stock mount and spacer (teraflex or spidertrax?)
- Teraflex tire carrier & Adjustable mount and no spacer
- Teraflex tire carrier & Adjustable mount and spacer (teraflex or spidertrax?)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by homeless; 08-31-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-spare-tir...acket-kit.html

Use this with stock rims, works well for me. Hinge with stock tire carrier. AJ @ TFlex was good to me on price, too.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone have any tips for getting the 3 bolts for the spare tire installed in the mount? I tried using an oversized nut and slowly screwing in a lug nut, but I can't get it fully seated. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a press.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by delpers
Anyone have any tips for getting the 3 bolts for the spare tire installed in the mount? I tried using an oversized nut and slowly screwing in a lug nut, but I can't get it fully seated. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a press.
Use a few washers and then tighten it down using a lug nut. Add more washers as necessary if it takes a couple times. It's ok if it's not 100% seated, just get it close enough.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed my TF tire carrier (without hinge) but it looks like the third brake light bracket changed from what is shown in the video... it only mounts the light and not the license plate. What's up with that? I really don't want to pull it off and send it back...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question for the owners of this carrier. Any rust issues? How does the powdercoat hold up? How about the bolts or hardware, do they have rust, or they all quality materials? Any trick s to prevent any of my mentioned issues if you have them. -Thx

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?