Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I bet that is the old design I would hit them up and see if they will replace it.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use the stock carrier on the TF hinge. Read too many posts on the adjustable mount, even the new ones being bad. I have the TF hinge, but use the stock mount for my 35s with Daystar isolators on both sides. I cut up a Daystar isolator for the passenger side and was able to fit it into one of the hinges oval holes.

Lots of people running 35s on their stock tailgate and mount, so I figure the stock mount should be good ending on the TF hinge.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been fine and I bought it when they were first released. I have a 35 mounted but it's just touching the hinge and the stock rubber bumper on the left side.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sea bass
just out of curiosity, did you have your tire tight against the rubber stops?
the first time they told me i probably didn't have it adjusted propperly so i made sure it was snug this time. My personal opinion is its just low grade steel and can't handle the stress caused by the weight from a 37'' on a 17'' beadlock. There steel has been known to break on other products they make.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been running a 37" Toyo open county (heavy) tire and OMF custom beadlock for over a year on the thing and no problems at all. I do feel installation error could be the cause of some issues I've heard of as well as wheel BS (still installation).
Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke one too. 37 on a 17" beadlock. May just be bad luck, but I got it replaced and sold it. Lots of people love the thing but I won't be running it.

sent from my work leash
Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has any one tried to use the smittybilt oversize carrier and the teraflex hinge as a combo? I'm already running the smittybilt but am buying the teraflex hinge and carrier tomorrow and was curiouser about the functionality with the smittybilt carrier.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hothondaguy
Has any one tried to use the smittybilt oversize carrier and the teraflex hinge as a combo? I'm already running the smittybilt but am buying the teraflex hinge and carrier tomorrow and was curiouser about the functionality with the smittybilt carrier.
It should work fine. The hinge comes with spacers that you can put between your smitty carrier and the tailgate on the left side so it stays parallel with your tailgate
Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is concerned about their tire carrier, please send a pic of your setup to tech@teraflex.com. Or call us 801-713-3314, I promise no one bites here. If you have an older version, TeraFlex will send out a replacement to you.

On a side note.
I'm still running the same original unbraced/updated version with a bead locked 37" MTR on it for almost 2 years now. If your spare jiggles, move the center adjustable portion in another 1/4".
Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

On the accessory/high lift mount, what is the thread size for the upper threaded bung not used for a hi-lift?

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?