Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Looks like the top gusset would make it non adjustable.
Yeah, now that I'm looking at it again, I think you're right.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Got the tire carrier mounted. Tailgate closed fine on the day I installed it, put the spare on a couple days later and found out it's mounted a bit low as it hits the top of the striker first.

Mine did as well. I didn't feel like taking it all apart again. I loosened up the bolts on the hinges just a little bit so the gate will "pivet". Then while I picked up on the gate, I had my wife tighten up the two outer bolts as much as she could. Did a test close a few times, then went back and tightened up the bolts again. So far so good!!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super Stroked
Mine did as well. I didn't feel like taking it all apart again. I loosened up the bolts on the hinges just a little bit so the gate will "pivet". Then while I picked up on the gate, I had my wife tighten up the two outer bolts as much as she could. Did a test close a few times, then went back and tightened up the bolts again. So far so good!!
The Teraflex instructions say there should be a 1/2 inch gap between the tire and bumper to prevent contact during compression of the the rubber body mounts when driving.

With all the fuss about whether the adjustable mount is strong enough, I wouldn't risk it for a long-term solution if it just barely clears the bumper, especially off-road ..but hey, it's your jeep. I'm actually surprised there was much "piveting" possible.

Edit: oops, my bad. I didn't have my coffee yet. The original post talked about misalignment with the striker, not with the spare and bumper. I'm still surprised there was much sag putting the spare on. It must have been close to begin with.

Last edited by brighton; 09-09-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I figured I could just loosen the Torx bolts where it attached to the tub and just lift the tailagate a bit to realign it.

Originally Posted by brighton
Edit: oops, my bad. I didn't have my coffee yet. The original post talked about misalignment with the striker, not with the spare and bumper. I'm still surprised there was much sag putting the spare on. It must have been close to begin with.
I'm guessing so. Nittos are pretty damn heavy though.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 09-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my carrier last night. The swing action is extremely tight. Will this loosen up over time? I doubt my wife will enjoy having to throw her body weight into closing the tail gate.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seribralcrow
I just installed my carrier last night. The swing action is extremely tight. Will this loosen up over time? I doubt my wife will enjoy having to throw her body weight into closing the tail gate.
WD40 should do the trick until its gotten some use
Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Mine was broken in after about 7 door closing over 3 days .. I don't notice it anymore

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brighton
The Teraflex instructions say there should be a 1/2 inch gap between the tire and bumper to prevent contact during compression of the the rubber body mounts when driving.

roger that. Yeah, I'm not running a bumper so i have plenty of clearance between tire and bumper.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bumper

mine rubs the factory bumper a hair, but it's just plastic... damned if I care.

I LOVE this carrier. and yes they loosen up over time.

this thing secures the spare tighter than a ____ on ____ night.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

roger that. Yeah, I'm not running a bumper so i have plenty of clearance between tire and bumper.
Yea I'm a fan of the no bumper look especially with the off road evolution frame d-ring mounts

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?