Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea too...and I'm usually very picky with installs and want everything to be on the up and up...but when I got this thing I was in a hurry to see it perform and when the guy delivered it my tailgate was propped up on wedges waiting. Now my guilty conscious is beating me up for not throwing some paint on there.. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one maybe ill get around to it eventually. Thanks for the reply
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLsJK
I like the idea too...and I'm usually very picky with installs and want everything to be on the up and up...but when I got this thing I was in a hurry to see it perform and when the guy delivered it my tailgate was propped up on wedges waiting. Now my guilty conscious is beating me up for not throwing some paint on there.. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one maybe ill get around to it eventually. Thanks for the reply
I was the same way. When I originally installed the hinge I was in a hurry and didn't want to spend the time to paint.

I decided to do it now because I was using the stock carrier with the TF hinge and i just installed a new Ace rear bumper and my spare won't fit with this bumper using the stock carrier. Since I had my spare off the carrier and I'm waiting for the TF adjustable carrier to arrive, I thought I'd go ahead and tackle the paint job now. I probably wouldn't have worried about the hole but I had the hinge off anyway to paint so why not fill it.

Just a little peace of mind knowing it's done but if the stock carrier and spare would have fit with this bumper who knows when I would have gotten around to it. As I said before, there was no sign of rust or any issues after 8 months and I'm in a very wet environment.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thing is I'm not even hauling around my spare unless I plan to go off the beaten path. I drive 2 miles to work and back everyday and just don't see the point of carrying it. And I like to rotate the tires often which is quite an easy job with one already sitting waiting. I will take it off and paint under the hinge soon. I do plan on keeping the jeep for many years and don't need a rust issue. Thanks for the input on the size filler piece,. I will definitely fill it just to be safe and also use loctite this time. Appreciate the help guys
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I painted underneath before I installed mine as well as make a full custom gasket from old inner tubes....I'm too damn anal and I didn't want the carrier touching the paint at all. Thin rubber barrier between both surfaces and all is good. Love this carrier!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLsJK
Funny thing is I'm not even hauling around my spare unless I plan to go off the beaten path. I drive 2 miles to work and back everyday and just don't see the point of carrying it.
The last few days are the first time I've had the spare off except to rotate tires. It's been great to be able to see out the rear window for a change.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Nobody here has painted theirs or filled in that hole. It is fine either way, but I like the idea of painting the body area where the hinge portion is mounted.
Thanks TF! Good to know I'm in good company. My tailgate is so beat up anyway (from cargo sliding around and denting the very thin metal) that I'm not worried about it, I'll need a new one anyway by the time this one ever rusts through.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey TF, I would like to suggest that you add plastic caps for the three larger, exposed bolt holes. Makes it look MUCH nicer when done:

[IMG][/IMG]

I first put bolts in there but they started to rust in 1 week LOL

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh, and I picked up a CB bracket, but modified it to mount on the driver's side:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by morb
For those finding rust on the $.03 hinge pin washer...why not spend $5 on a can of Fluid Film and spray down the washer every 6 months or so...or just grease it up? Writing-off the entire product because of a rusty washer seems a little extreme to me...
definitely not writing it off. love the hinge carrier. just wanted to provide feedback for improving the product.

I actually have a buddy of mine designing a rotopax mount to carry just rotopax without a hi-lift.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

May I Interject something? I wrote this on another thread. Not about the tire carrier but about the accessory mount:

I just put on the hi lift mount and I must say I have a few gripes. Maybe a teraflex rep will explain. First, there are 2 threaded bungs, only one is used to mount/secure the jack.( in addition to a bolt at the base). They chose to thread the two bungs differently and only included the bolt to the lower bung. This not only leaves the upper unused, but the used one (lower) will have less stability than the higher one would provide. This pic should show what I mean.

Attachment 493440
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1991087768.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	493605
You can see the unused bung near the zinc handle clip.
What is really aggravating about this is by using the lower bolt you can't use the neoprene jack cover. (Which of course I bought)

Second. Are these really the only SAE bolts on the whole damn jeep? Everything else is metric. Now I have to carry both with me because of these 2 bolts?!? Lame.

Lastly, and this one is very minor. At the bottom they could have provided a hole at a different location to use a padlock on the jack. The hole they provided is positioned at a small hole in the jack which makes it very difficult to put a lock through. They should have put the hole at the large hole in the jack. I did get the lock in with a bit of fuss. This pic should illustrate what I mean and how easy of a change that would have been.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-172647434.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	493606

Attachment 493443

Not that it would really save anything. I thought with the jack mounted and locked on it would prevent access to at least one of the bolts that secure the accessory mount to the tire carrier. NOT THE CASE. now if someone wants the jack and rotopax they can just unbolt the whole accessory mount in 3 bolts.

Close teraflex, but a few small areas of foresight would have made a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have this item. But it's a touch aggravating to easily see areas of improvement when you pony up for a good product.

[
Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good timing on that last post. I just received the accessory mount today, so I figured I'd chime in.

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
First, there are 2 threaded bungs, only one is used to mount/secure the jack.( in addition to a bolt at the base). They chose to thread the two bungs differently and only included the bolt to the lower bung. This not only leaves the upper unused, but the used one (lower) will have less stability than the higher one would provide.
According to the Teraflex accessory mount video on YouTube, the top bung is meant for a Rotopax locking handle, which uses 5/16"-18 threads. That was probably the main factor in their decision to go with a different bung on top. I thought about using the top bung to secure the jack, too, so I picked up a 5/16"-18 x 2" hex bolt and some washers for about $1. No biggie.

What is really aggravating about this is by using the lower bolt you can't use the neoprene jack cover. (Which of course I bought)
The cover still works with the lower bolt in place. Sure, it bunches a little under the aluminum spacer on the lower bolt, but the cover still protects the mechanical parts of the jack just fine.

Second. Are these really the only SAE bolts on the whole damn jeep? Everything else is metric. Now I have to carry both with me because of these 2 bolts?!? Lame.
If you don't want to carry a 9/16" socket and wrench, you could probably replace the provided bung bolt with an eye bolt or some type of knob fastener. And replace the bolt that goes through the base of the jack with a metric bolt.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?