Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
hmm... does the adjustable peice come with shims incase you don't run the hinge?

A few months back Teraflex said they would set it up so you could run the carrier w/o the hinge if you were just trying to move the spare closer and weren't concerned about the weight of the spare.
the adjustable piece has two shims included for use without the hindge. the hinge has two included for use with the stock carrier only. my 35" sits tight against the gate.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

My guess is that my Toyo 37x13.5 will not fit with the stock carrier. Anyone know for sure?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishtale
My guess is that my Toyo 37x13.5 will not fit with the stock carrier. Anyone know for sure?

It should fit, my buddy has those tires on his tf hinge and stock carrier, he also has 4.25" backspacing
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob-o
It should fit, my buddy has those tires on his tf hinge and stock carrier, he also has 4.25" backspacing
Cool. My BS is the same.....that didn't sound right. Lol

Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishtale

Cool. My BS is the same.....that didn't sound right. Lol

Lol. I'm going to get this hinge to just cuz my buddy has abused the heck outta it with a 17" walker Evan wheel w/ a 37" toyo open country tire and the tf hinge hasn't failed him yet, he got the hinge when they first came out
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good to hear. It's on my short list.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Teraflex Tire Carrier Sale

Originally Posted by Bustabizz
These are very popular right now,a nd the product looks great!!

I am running a special price on these, Please give me a PM or call directly!!
Hey people, I just ordered my teraflex tire carrier with the adjustable mount for $567.99 shipped. Yes, they are backordered,
but at that price, I can wait. Thanks to Bryan at 4WD (Bustabizz) for hooking me up. Christmas is coming early at my house!!!
Can't wait to get my 35's on and play in the snow to come.

Jeremy - Lincoln, NE

Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stroked250
I really like this product and design. I am still a bit confused although I understand the concept.

disclaimer: I have never seen this carrier in person

Looking at the pictures everyone has posted... where the carrier bolts to the tailgate, only 1/2 of the tire mount bolts to the carrier while the other still bolts to the tailgate. 2 questions:

1. Doesn't this make the carrier sit at a small angle or it it shimmed?
2. Doesn't it mean some of the tire weight is still on tailgate itself?

Using logic as some posted above, you should be able to remove the tailgate, install this carrier and it will support the weight of the tire alone (obviously I am not saying it will stay in place 'swing', etc). But it should stay parallel to the original position, I don't see how that can happen with only 1/2 the tire mount attaching to the HD carrier.
So I understand there is a shim for it. Why not build it to completely cover the mounting surface area? If this is how it is bolted to the tailgate, isn't 1/2 the tire mount still pulling on the tailgate? Without a backplate on the opposite side of the tailgate, I don't see how this addresses the delimitation issue fully. I understand it can help, but the weak point appears to be the tailgate mounting surface more than the hinges on JKs.

edit: I am not knocking the carrier at all. In fact, I am likely going to get one next spring when I do my build. Just looking to understand it better.

Last edited by stroked250; 10-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stroked250
Just looking to understand it better.
it works. end of story. if you want to understand it better find someone who has one and see for yourself. i mean everyone has stated how well it works and blah blah blah. TF has a great video showing how and WHY it works. the only thing left that is gonna convince you is too see one for yourself. you will be pleased.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rtguy1
it works. end of story. if you want to understand it better find someone who has one and see for yourself. i mean everyone has stated how well it works and blah blah blah. TF has a great video showing how and WHY it works. the only thing left that is gonna convince you is too see one for yourself. you will be pleased.
Thanks, but that really doesn't answer my question. Even if I see it in real life, that doesn't answer the physics of it.

Re-inforced tub, heavy hinges, etc are nice. But the point of failure seems to be the tailgate delaminating, I am trying to understand how that is addressed when 1/2 the carrier bolts on like OEM. There is no backplate so I would guess that even the carrier side pulls in a similar fashion.

If the carrier truly carried the entire weight of the wheel, you should be able to bolt the carrier on without the tailgate (obviously it won't latch). 1/2 the mount still mounts to the tailgate as if it were factory, also the entire carrier uses the OEM bolt holes (I think) so how does this relieve stress on on the delaminating issue? When adding a tire 2x the weight of OEM, i still see 1/2 the mount on the tailgate, so in effect, would the tailgate be seeing nearly the same force as an OEM setup in this case? People have posted pics of stock size tires pulling the tailgate apart slowly.

Again, just trying to understand it, even if it does work great.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?