Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jahbone

I know this is an old post, but- check the install video from Teraflex. They recommend removing all gaps, so the tire rests on the hinge on one side, and the remaining bumpstop on the other. Shouldn't be any wiggle after that. I think this is important to avoid stressing the tire carrier itself.
You definitely want the tire pressing against the tire carrier base and/or the hinge. It will reduce vibration and motion that could possibly break something. Be careful snugging the tire, though; you don't want it so close that when you tighten the lugs you put a lot of stress on the carrier. It took me three tries to get it firm but not too tight.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any body have the hi lift bracket with only the RotoPax gas can and water can. I was looking at running a 3gal gas and a 2 gal water can.
Will these two fit??
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also wondering about a 3 gallon can and after some google research I came across this statement from Teraflex: *NEW* TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Accessory Mount! - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

The answer is:
If you went with a 3 gallon you could damage your tail light when you fully opened the tailgate.
I believe that if you want to carry two cans then you will probably have to mount a Hi-Lift Jack and then attach the cans to the Hi-Lift.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know what the load rating is on the hinge? I've heard the stock should not go heavier than 50lbs...? Just curious because if I'm I'm running a 35, the hi-lift, 2 cans on the accessory mount, would I still be able to run 2 more cans off the spare?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tankerbell
Does anyone know what the load rating is on the hinge? I've heard the stock should not go heavier than 50lbs...? Just curious because if I'm I'm running a 35, the hi-lift, 2 cans on the accessory mount, would I still be able to run 2 more cans off the spare?
The TeraFlex Hinge carries all the weight of the tailgate/spare/hi-lifte, etc. It really depends upon how much clearance you want with the tail light when the tailgate is swung open.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

The TeraFlex Hinge carries all the weight of the tailgate/spare/hi-lifte, etc. It really depends upon how much clearance you want with the tail light when the tailgate is swung open.
I ordered the accessory mount back in February from a sponsor. Any idea on when it will get shipped?

Sent via smoke signals
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

Is there an actual weight limit (ie 100lbs, etc)? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I can put on it without damage
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sebastian
I was also wondering about a 3 gallon can and after some google research I came across this statement from Teraflex: *NEW* TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Accessory Mount! - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

The answer is:

I believe that if you want to carry two cans then you will probably have to mount a Hi-Lift Jack and then attach the cans to the Hi-Lift.
Thanks. Looks like it really won't work that great.
Maybe Teraflex could chime in on exactly what you can put on this carrier with and without interfering with the lights. It seems to be not so easy to come by.

I was hoping to put a couple RotoPax on without the highlift jack.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

I'll clear up right now. This is teraflex hi lift mount with rotopax mounts. You can only fit a 2 gallon for body clearance with gate all the way open on the right. you can purchase an addtl mount for the left hand side to fit a 3 gallon as pictured at least with a 35" tire. I have had this for awhile now as i got in on the first order shipment. The quality is great but i have problems with the design. First off the cb antenna is mounted very close to the high lift which interferes with its ability (see other posts). In all honesty your hi lift has become an accessory mount. Yes its great quality and you can fit a 2 gallon and a 3 but if you actually have to use it you are gonna spend a lot of time to get all the "stuff" unbolted!. This is mounted on a 42" hi lift which was recommended because of clearance in case the gate swings shut with the glass. Not to mention you have to cut down the 42" a few inches to clear it. Dont most of you run at least a 48"?? I am actually thinking of selling the whole package myself (for all of those waiting on backorder). Just my .02

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg
Views:	21420
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	446330

Im currently trying to find a better way to mount my rotopax. The tire carrier itself is awesome!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeeping4Fun
I'll clear up right now. This is teraflex hi lift mount with rotopax mounts. You can only fit a 2 gallon for body clearance with gate all the way open on the right. you can purchase an addtl mount for the left hand side to fit a 3 gallon as pictured at least with a 35" tire. I have had this for awhile now as i got in on the first order shipment. The quality is great but i have problems with the design. First off the cb antenna is mounted very close to the high lift which interferes with its ability (see other posts). In all honesty your hi lift has become an accessory mount. Yes its great quality and you can fit a 2 gallon and a 3 but if you actually have to use it you are gonna spend a lot of time to get all the "stuff" unbolted!. This is mounted on a 42" hi lift which was recommended because of clearance in case the gate swings shut with the glass. Not to mention you have to cut down the 42" a few inches to clear it. Dont most of you run at least a 48"?? I am actually thinking of selling the whole package myself (for all of those waiting on backorder). Just my .02

Attachment 446330

Im currently trying to find a better way to mount my rotopax. The tire carrier itself is awesome!!
hey thanks for the picture and summary.
maybe putting a Rotopax off the spare is my way out.. I wanted one for gas-3gal and one water H2O 2gal
not planning a hi-lift jack for now...

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?