Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question guys. I'm looking to purchase the tire carrier so my tire sits closer to the tailgate. Do I need to purchase both the hinge and the tire carrier or just one of the two? I have 33's and wont be going any larger than that. I just hate how the tire sits out so far with my new rims because of the backspacing. Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Logan1982
Quick question guys. I'm looking to purchase the tire carrier so my tire sits closer to the tailgate. Do I need to purchase both the hinge and the tire carrier or just one of the two? I have 33's and wont be going any larger than that. I just hate how the tire sits out so far with my new rims because of the backspacing. Thanks guys!
If you are fine with 33's just buy the HD hinge kit. If you go bigger later get the carrier later on when its needed. Your 33 I assume 12.50 wide you may only need a spacer to fit on the stock carrier if using the stock rim. Otherwise you should be ok. My 35 won't clear my bumper on the stock carrier that's why I bought the tire carrier along with the HD hinge kit

Last edited by RUBI-VET; 03-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

RUBI-VET my issue isn't clearing the bumper. I have 285/70/17's on Black Rock 17x8 wheels. They actually measure at 11.5" wide. With the tire and wheel having different backspacing than the stock wheel my spare now sits further away from the body of the jeep. I want it to sit closer to the body like it did with my stock setup. Are you saying that getting the HD hinge will bring my spare closer to the body? Sorry if I'm not explaining it too well. Not quite sure how to word it. LOL!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan1982
RUBI-VET my issue isn't clearing the bumper. I have 285/70/17's on Black Rock 17x8 wheels. They actually measure at 11.5" wide. With the tire and wheel having different backspacing than the stock wheel my spare now sits further away from the body of the jeep. I want it to sit closer to the body like it did with my stock setup. Are you saying that getting the HD hinge will bring my spare closer to the body? Sorry if I'm not explaining it too well. Not quite sure how to word it. LOL!
The hinge alone won't hug up the wheel with the tailgate. The adjustable tire carrier will accomplish that.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
The hinge alone won't hug up the wheel with the tailgate. The adjustable tire carrier will accomplish that.
I got the fact you don't have a clearance issue on the bumper. I was saying I had the issue and that's why I need the carrier portion to relocate the tire higher up. You're stock carrier will be the same distance roughly to the HD carrier as your stock setup is currently. You'd have to measure from carrier face plate (mounting surface) to the carrier and measure the inside of the rims mounting surface to the inner most portion of the tire ( where it contacts the body and check the distance to figure you gap. You can adjust your backspace to whatever you need.
Sorry I hope thats not too confusing.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ncb and RUBI-VET, thanks for the fast response. You guys answered my question. Greatly appreciated!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can any of you guys give me a measurement from the top of the hitch to the bottom of the spare tire? My 37 km2 on my factory wheel looks like it may not fit with the rugged ridge bumper...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Weather was finally nice enough to mount the carrier to the HD hinges and get my spare out of the cargo area
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone seen the teraflex setup with an LOD bumper that can post a pic of why they won't work together and if their might be a solution.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rickc309
Anyone seen the teraflex setup with an LOD bumper that can post a pic of why they won't work together and if their might be a solution.
Is this just a problem with 37 inch tires or larger and I would think it can be corrected with the relocation bracket? I can't see where this would be that big a problem.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?