Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

Just got my 35s on last night! See them first here, hanging from the TF carrier:

Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Just got my 35s on last night! See them first here, hanging from the TF carrier:

Is the the TF brackets and stock carrier or are you using a TF carrier too? If using the TF carrier, can you raise the tire any?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by fishtale
Is the the TF brackets and stock carrier or are you using a TF carrier too? If using the TF carrier, can you raise the tire any?

TF hinge and stock carrier. If I had the TF carrier, I'd be able to set the height. For now, I'm sticking with this setup. If the stock carrier cracks, I will upgrade.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
TF hinge and stock carrier. If I had the TF carrier, I'd be able to set the height. For now, I'm sticking with this setup. If the stock carrier cracks, I will upgrade.
Ok thanks. Congrats on the new meats.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Former Member

These are very popular right now,a nd the product looks great!!

I am running a special price on these, Please give me a PM or call directly!!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

I really like this product and design. I am still a bit confused although I understand the concept.

disclaimer: I have never seen this carrier in person

Looking at the pictures everyone has posted... where the carrier bolts to the tailgate, only 1/2 of the tire mount bolts to the carrier while the other still bolts to the tailgate. 2 questions:

1. Doesn't this make the carrier sit at a small angle or it it shimmed?
2. Doesn't it mean some of the tire weight is still on tailgate itself?

Using logic as some posted above, you should be able to remove the tailgate, install this carrier and it will support the weight of the tire alone (obviously I am not saying it will stay in place, etc). But it should stay parallel to the original position, I don't see how that can happen with only 1/2 the tire mount attaching to the HD carrier.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stroked250
I really like this product and design. I am still a bit confused although I understand the concept.

Doesn't it mean some of the tire weight is still on tailgate itself?

Using logic as some posted above, you should be able to remove the tailgate, install this carrier and it will support the weight of the tire alone (obviously I am not saying it will stay in place, etc). But it should stay parallel to the original position, I don't see how that can happen with only 1/2 the tire mount attaching to the HD carrier.
I am also curious. Isn't the tailgate still holding half the weight?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stroked250

disclaimer: I have never seen this carrier in person

Looking at the pictures everyone has posted... where the carrier bolts to the tailgate, only 1/2 of the tire mount bolts to the carrier while the other still bolts to the tailgate. 2 questions:

1. Doesn't this make the carrier sit at a small angle or it it shimmed?
2. Doesn't it mean some of the tire weight is still on tailgate itself?

if you use the stock carrier you need to use the provided shims. if you buy both pieces the shims are not necessary because the adjustable piece is offset to bolt up flush. i think you guys need to forget about understanding why this thing works until you can actually put hands on one...operate it, touch it, whatever the hell else u do to your jeep parts and see for yourself why the actual reviews are so good. i have yet to hear anyone that has actually checked one out not like it. I sold my aev and went to this setup so i could swap bumpers. it is just as nice, smaller, and more oe looking. just find someone in your area that has one. im in the san fernando valley, ca if anyone wants to see mine
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rtguy1
if you use the stock carrier you need to use the provided shims. if you buy both pieces the shims are not necessary because the adjustable piece is offset to bolt up flush. i think you guys need to forget about understanding why this thing works until you can actually put hands on one...operate it, touch it, whatever the hell else u do to your jeep parts and see for yourself why the actual reviews are so good. i have yet to hear anyone that has actually checked one out not like it. I sold my aev and went to this setup so i could swap bumpers. it is just as nice, smaller, and more oe looking. just find someone in your area that has one. im in the san fernando valley, ca if anyone wants to see mine
hmm... does the adjustable peice come with shims incase you don't run the hinge?

A few months back Teraflex said they would set it up so you could run the carrier w/o the hinge if you were just trying to move the spare closer and weren't concerned about the weight of the spare.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypeiv

hmm... does the adjustable peice come with shims incase you don't run the hinge?

A few months back Teraflex said they would set it up so you could run the carrier w/o the hinge if you were just trying to move the spare closer and weren't concerned about the weight of the spare.
Yes. The TF hinged carrier comes with shims so you can use the factory tire mount, and the TF adjustable tire mount also comes with shims to use with the factory hinge setup.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?