Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbarton15
Are your guys' hinges really stiff? I hear people say it opens nice and freely but mine is pretty stiff feeling. Even if I open it half way or less in a downward slope it won't move. And ive really gotta slam it to close it
mine isn't too bad, but I know what you're sayin. Closing is a bit stiff.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbarton15
Are your guys' hinges really stiff? I hear people say it opens nice and freely but mine is pretty stiff feeling. Even if I open it half way or less in a downward slope it won't move. And ive really gotta slam it to close it
It will loosen over time, spray some wd40 on the hinge pins for now, that should help a bit
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

To everyone who reused the stock carrier did you have to use any kind of spacer like whats included with the teraflex carrier or did you just mount the hinge and then the stock carrier and go? My hinge shows up tomorrow. Wondering if Ill be ok to just remount my factory as is after I get the hinge on. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAM85
To everyone who reused the stock carrier did you have to use any kind of spacer like whats included with the teraflex carrier or did you just mount the hinge and then the stock carrier and go? My hinge shows up tomorrow. Wondering if Ill be ok to just remount my factory as is after I get the hinge on. Thanks.
The hinge comes with several little spacers if you're planking in using the stock carrier. There are several good videos on YouTube that show how it works
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I already had a spacer because of the size of my tire I needed more height to clear the bumper. Here is a picture of the install right before the tire was put back on, and one with the tire on. The new terraflex hinge only spaces the tire out about 3/16 of an inch. If you needed a spacer to lift your tire for clearance before, you will need one again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3725314066.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	427863

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2389656918.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	427862
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am assuming the spacer that you are talking about is like the U shaped one in my picture attached to the stock tire carrier.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

I am talking about inbetween the factory mount and the tailgate. If you mount the carrier to the hinge on the right side of the mount, do the left side mounts need spacer inbetween the carrier and the gate? In the terafelx vids they show the new carrier comes with a rubber spacer to make sure it sits flush to the gate. Will the hinge and factory carrier work without these or do they come with the hinge?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am talking about inbetween the factory mount and the tailgate. If you mount the carrier to the hinge on the right side of the mount, do the left side mounts need spacer inbetween the carrier and the gate? In the terafelx vids they show the new carrier comes with a rubber spacer to make sure it sits flush to the gate. Will the hinge and factory carrier work without these or do they come with the hinge?
They come with the hinge and are made of steel.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

sweet thanks man
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

sweet thanks man
I am super happy with mine and the install instructions and parts were very complete. Watching the YouTube video really helped too.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?