Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only read positive stuff. I just ordered one of the last few northridge had
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great comments on this new product. The HD Hinged carrier only weighs about 22lbs and is in stock also. I'm hoping to be posting soon prices/pics on the High Lift Jack/RotoPax mount for these.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
The problem with the OE set up is not where the hinge mounts to the corner/body. Many companies including Evo use that area for their tire carriers. that area is reenforced.

The problem is on the door. The welds get pulled away under the weight of a heavier wheel/tire.

Now with the TF hinge. the weight is carried soley by the hinge, not by the door. If i unbolt the door and add a nut to hold the tire carrier to the hinge it would be able to hold the tire by itself. Instead of the door carrying the weight, it now adds more strength to the hinge and a way for the tire carrier to stay in the closed position.
I 100% understsnd the point you make about trransfering the load of the tire from the door hanger over to the hinge mounts. I just dont understand how it is so clear that the hinge mounts are stout enough to manage the additional weight?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by jpone
I 100% understsnd the point you make about trransfering the load of the tire from the door hanger over to the hinge mounts. I just dont understand how it is so clear that the hinge mounts are stout enough to manage the additional weight?
Pull your passenger tail light out and take a peek in there, or look from below. You will be able see part of the support structure in that corner for the hinge area.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Pull your passenger tail light out and take a peek in there, or look from below. You will be able see part of the support structure in that corner for the hinge area.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

I have been on the fence about this carrier as well. I like that it reduces weight and that it keeps things simple and allows use of the tailgate without having to move your carrier out of the way but am still a bit skeptical about the longterm durability of this set up. I get that jeep has reinforced the hinge points on the jk but it still seems like hanging a 35-37 on those hinge points and then bouncing your rig around will ultimately end up in failure at those points. Afterall they are not mounted to the frame rails but simply to a reinforced sheet metal body panel right? How long will this set up last before cracks in the sheet metal start to appear and then failure occur. Any long term users notice any bulging, warping or cracking at the hinge points?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is the point I was trying and failed to make. The simplicity of the design is very appealing, but am also holding off for a while.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on the fence for a long time before buying the TF carrier. A bit pricey, yes, worth it, big YES. The low weight and stout hold it adds to your gate makes it worth every penny. I would have bought one sooner if I'd known how happy I'd be with it. All the great feedback on the carrier is definately accurate. Being I'm not going bigger than 35's, just the main hinge bracket without the mount kit is all I needed. No rattles, shimmy, silent and snug now
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03074.jpg
Views:	2036
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	376072
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for all the great comments on this new product. The HD Hinged carrier only weighs about 22lbs and is in stock also. I'm hoping to be posting soon prices/pics on the High Lift Jack/RotoPax mount for these.
Oooooooo hi lift mount and rotopax mounts? Sweet can't wait to see them. I'm most likely going to get this hinge cuz I like how its simple, light and can carry a 37" tire, its just what I'm looking for. Plus I don't really like my hi-lift mount and I really want some rotopax
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

oh oh! Stop teasing us! Load up them pictures!

Loving my TF Hinged Carrier and Tire Mount!

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?