Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you are correct if you compare the sides, but I assume there would be a difference between the two if only to submit exactly the additional weight of the OEM setup?

I am sure TF has done their homework, but for some reason it is the only question they have not posted a thoughtful response on.

If the homework is done, why not go ahead and throw it up here? Definitely not the end of the world if there is not an answer to this question, but I will hold until I see the info or until more time has passed.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default TF spare tire carrier

They have definitely done their design homework on this one. I bought it and installed it. Be sure to paint under the stock hinges to avoid future rust issues as the factory paints the vehicle with the hinges on and there is no paint underneath. I put a duratrac 35 and used the stock tire mount with the third eye brakelight and the tire just clears the rear bumper. If you are going with the Toyo (which I believe is a quarter inch taller) be sure to use TF's adjustable tire mount. You will however lose the brake light on the adjustable tire carrier but I am sure you can rig something if you really want to have one. I was considering rigging a light in the center of the spare but did not need to. Good luck. I sent a PM to jpone for more info if needed. This was an easy install and I am impressed with the solid feel of the tailgate with the 35 installed.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jpone
I am sure you are correct if you compare the sides, but I assume there would be a difference between the two if only to submit exactly the additional weight of the OEM setup?

I am sure TF has done their homework, but for some reason it is the only question they have not posted a thoughtful response on.

If the homework is done, why not go ahead and throw it up here? Definitely not the end of the world if there is not an answer to this question, but I will hold until I see the info or until more time has passed.
I guess I don't understand what you want? They said the CAD model shows extra hinge reinforcing I doubt they cut a Jeep apart to check if the model is correct. They also show a clip of the CAD model showing the hinge portion in the video.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

I went outside and took TF's advice and looked at inside my tailight and there is what looks to be 2-3 formed sheet metal pieces (two L shaped pieces with bracing) layered with a 1/4" or so plate where the bolts go in to distribute the load. The other side as nothing in the way of bracing.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate the feedback guys. I took a look for myself of course. Definitely more reinforcement on the hinge side than the non-hinge side. I can only guess if it was originally designed to support tires substantially larger and heavier than the stock configuration along with full gas cans etc.

My question is if TF did any testing or analysis to determine if the design can support significant additional weight and what that evidence shows or if they simply looked at it and assumed it was adequate.

Seems like an easy answer for them either way.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Just put this carrier on today and I love it. I carry a 10 ply 34 inch tire and all of the noise and movement has gone away.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nvertflyer
add some washers over the wheel studs before you put the tire on the carrier...this should do the trick...

The tire sits pretty deep (couple of inches) in the bumper well. I don't think that washers will help here.

I think the issue here is weight + vibration = potential failure.
With the OEM setup the tire fits snugly against the bumpstops on the rear door. The weight of the factory tire is OK and the fact that it is snug against the bumpstops will stop/lessen the vibration that could cause failure. That's why it works.

Since my 35" (13.50) tire sits FIRMLY in the bumper well, there is a reduction of weight on the door skin and there is no vibration, so this may work as well.

As I wrote before, when I shut the tailgate I have to give it a little shove due to the tire coming in contact with the bottom of the bumper well.

I could use the cash for a TF solution elsewhere at the moment.

Thoughts???
Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default thoughts

Lower the bumper a little by opening the holes where they attach if there is not enough stock adjustment.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julius
The tire sits pretty deep (couple of inches) in the bumper well. I don't think that washers will help here.

I think the issue here is weight + vibration = potential failure.
With the OEM setup the tire fits snugly against the bumpstops on the rear door. The weight of the factory tire is OK and the fact that it is snug against the bumpstops will stop/lessen the vibration that could cause failure. That's why it works.

Since my 35" (13.50) tire sits FIRMLY in the bumper well, there is a reduction of weight on the door skin and there is no vibration, so this may work as well.

As I wrote before, when I shut the tailgate I have to give it a little shove due to the tire coming in contact with the bottom of the bumper well.

I could use the cash for a TF solution elsewhere at the moment.

Thoughts???
you could also use the smitty stock spare tire relocation bracket or a wheel spacer...both these solutions will work..
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdyeti
You will however lose the brake light on the adjustable tire carrier but I am sure you can rig something if you really want to have one.
I think the HD carrier comes with a third tail light relocation bracket

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?