Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm convinced! Ordered!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OJK12

I understand how it is made but a steel version could be made differently and it would have to be to be strong. Just because it would be steel does not mean it would be heavier, the jap dirt bikes with aluminum frames are heavier than the chromoly steel framed KTM's and they have electric start. Its all in design which we know teraflex is capable of. Why make a cheaper one if the others fly off the shelf cause that would be two fling off the shelf for even more bucks. I'm not bagging teraflex, like I stated first its a great product and a great idea the price is what kills it when there are potentially more customers out there who are buying the smittybilt one and the likes because of price. Those are the target customers. I'll bet money they could build one out of steel and it wouldn't be 200lbs. Hey maybe I'm wrong and there is no market but smittybilt and bestop aren't having any problems selling theirs and their not even a great design, and they don't weigh 200lbs. And nobody has a problem with the bumper tire carriers that are mega heavy.
Yes if they made a completely different carrier out of steel it could be lighter then 200lbs (that was just a over exaggerated number not a real one). The one they make now is cast aluminum a steel one would have to be fabbed not cast or it would weigh a ton. Do you honestly think that building a fabbed steel one is going to make it 200 bucks cheaper? You know when you spend 500 for the aluminum one you are not paying for raw materials you are paying for the design, the die's, and the shipping from Taiwan. Not to mention the little bit of profit they make. I don't really think people understand the work that goes into this stuff. Even if you changed the materials you still have to pay for that other stuff I do not believe there is 200 dollars worth of aluminum in the carrier.

So what I am trying to say is it would be great if they made one for 200 cheaper but they can't. I have this carrier and it is worth every penny! I used to have an LOD tire carrier and I would take this over it anyday and it cost less and is just as solid.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scemracing

Yes if they made a completely different carrier out of steel it could be lighter then 200lbs (that was just a over exaggerated number not a real one). The one they make now is cast aluminum a steel one would have to be fabbed not cast or it would weigh a ton. Do you honestly think that building a fabbed steel one is going to make it 200 bucks cheaper? You know when you spend 500 for the aluminum one you are not paying for raw materials you are paying for the design, the die's, and the shipping from Taiwan. Not to mention the little bit of profit they make. I don't really think people understand the work that goes into this stuff. Even if you changed the materials you still have to pay for that other stuff I do not believe there is 200 dollars worth of aluminum in the carrier.

So what I am trying to say is it would be great if they made one for 200 cheaper but they can't. I have this carrier and it is worth every penny! I used to have an LOD tire carrier and I would take this over it anyday and it cost less and is just as solid.
" You know when you spend 500 for the aluminum one you are not paying for raw materials you are paying for the design, the die's, and the shipping from Taiwan."

Exactly my point if it was steel there would be no dies to pay for, steel is always cheaper to buy than aluminum, and if it was AMERICAN made there would be no cost to ship it. So yes I do believe it could be $200 cheaper. I realize the current process of how it is made prolly does make it a great buy from that point of view.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OJK12

" You know when you spend 500 for the aluminum one you are not paying for raw materials you are paying for the design, the die's, and the shipping from Taiwan."

Exactly my point if it was steel there would be no dies to pay for, steel is always cheaper to buy than aluminum, and if it was AMERICAN made there would be no cost to ship it. So yes I do believe it could be $200 cheaper. I realize the current process of how it is made prolly does make it a great buy from that point of view.
Fair enough

I do have to say it is a great piece and I am very happy with it.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Very interesting thread. Thanks for the time and effort.

I just put on MT 35's (13.50) and the spare now hits the stock rear bumper well. I have to give it a light shove to close the tailgate. I thought that this was a good thing as the tire is in there nice and tight. It doesn't budge. I thought that this puts less strain on the tailgate because the bumper now holds some of the weight and there is no flexing of the tire.

My question is...is the opening and closing of the tailgate now going to cause a structural problem due to the fact that there must be some flexing going on every time that I open and close the gate and it hits/rubs the stock bumper?

I like the design of the TF hinge, but I think that I would hit/rub the bumper anyway.

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Julius

II like the design of the TF hinge, but I think that I would hit/rub the bumper anyway.

if u utilize their tire carrier piece along with the hindge u will be golden. the tire carrier is adjustable in/out and has mounting patterns for the studs to work with larger tires. u can mount in the higher location to easily fit a 35" tire. the highest location will easily fit a 38" tire and even larger with aftermarket bumpers. i am using the holes for 35's and have a psc rear bumper. i can easily fit a 37" tire here(just measured it out since my 37's have been ordered) and can still move it up to the next location if i want to go bigger. i could probably get a 40" on there at the highest location. i recommend buying both pieces regardless.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julius

I just put on MT 35's (13.50) and the spare now hits the stock rear bumper well. I have to give it a light shove to close the tailgate. I thought that this was a good thing as the tire is in there nice and tight. It doesn't budge. I thought that this puts less strain on the tailgate because the bumper now holds some of the weight and there is no flexing of the tire.

My question is...is the opening and closing of the tailgate now going to cause a structural problem due to the fact that there must be some flexing going on every time that I open and close the gate and it hits/rubs the stock bumper?

I like the design of the TF hinge, but I think that I would hit/rub the bumper anyway.

add some washers over the wheel studs before you put the tire on the carrier...this should do the trick...
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Got mine finished about a week ago. Love it! Cant believe how sturdy the tailgate is now. I even modified Teraflex's 3rd brake light kit to work. Now its a complete kit. Click image for larger version

Name:	teraflex spare.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	380319Click image for larger version

Name:	Tera2.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	380320Click image for larger version

Name:	tera3.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	380321
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default unanswered last question

icrashbikes provides a great explanation above. I have a pretty clear sense about how this configuration transfers the load, and this really helps to solidify. Nonetheless, for me personally, the most important phrase from the above explanation is this one;

"Let's assume the body side hinge mount points are structurally sound and capable of resisting the moment created by the weight of the tire and tailgate. If these mounts are not sound, you shouldn't be mounting a tire to your tailgate in any capacity."

This is my question all along. Most other tire carriers out there work by transferring the load out to a steel bumper of some other configuration.

This one is brilliant because of its simplicity, but how can we be sure that those hinge pints are adequate to support loads that the stock setup does not enable. (of course the stock setup of the tire hanging off the door impacts this), but folks are hanging much bigger tires than the hinges appear to be designed for plus full cans of gas and whatever else creativity allows.

Is there some evidence that these hinge points are truly adequate and for how much load? Someone from TF suggested above that we simply take off the taillight and look for ourselves, but I have no idea how to make such a judgement merely by looking.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jpone
icrashbikes provides a great explanation above. I have a pretty clear sense about how this configuration transfers the load, and this really helps to solidify. Nonetheless, for me personally, the most important phrase from the above explanation is this one;

"Let's assume the body side hinge mount points are structurally sound and capable of resisting the moment created by the weight of the tire and tailgate. If these mounts are not sound, you shouldn't be mounting a tire to your tailgate in any capacity."

This is my question all along. Most other tire carriers out there work by transferring the load out to a steel bumper of some other configuration.

This one is brilliant because of its simplicity, but how can we be sure that those hinge pints are adequate to support loads that the stock setup does not enable. (of course the stock setup of the tire hanging off the door impacts this), but folks are hanging much bigger tires than the hinges appear to be designed for plus full cans of gas and whatever else creativity allows.

Is there some evidence that these hinge points are truly adequate and for how much load? Someone from TF suggested above that we simply take off the taillight and look for ourselves, but I have no idea how to make such a judgement merely by looking.
I bet if you compared the drivers side to the passenger side there will be a huge difference. I have not done this and I don't plan on it I am taking teraflex at there word and I doubt they didn't research the crap out of it first.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?