Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex suspension lift

Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex suspension lift

Hi everybody,
I'm writing this post to see if I can get a clear answer on the sounds i'm hearing regarding my teraflex 3" full suspension (short arms) lift with flex arms. The sound i'm hearing occurs when flexing, and its a loud bang/pong sound, sounds like an old compressor spring twanging. I was talking with a buddy of mine and he was saying that the sound is coming from the coils when at a longer flex the coil is popping out of the seat and upon recompression it makes that sound. I've looked around for any type of wear marks but cannot see anything. I don't know if anyone else is having an issue with there teraflex full suspension lift or not, but to me it doesn't seem to be a normal "wearin" type noise. So I guess the question is, has anyone else installed the teraflex lift and noticed any new banging/twanging/metal bar clanging sounds during flexing?
Thanks
Rob

Last edited by redcoals; 03-29-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check to see if the rear passenger coil is contacting the rear trac bar. That is common and is an easy fix with a set of coil wedges.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did u do the lift yourself? Did u get a new rear track bar or just use the trackbar bracket? If u have the bracket it soubds like when they/u or whoever drilled the hole didn't line it up right or reamed it out too much causing some bolt slop. Just an idea.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default teraflex suspension lift

Good thoughts on it all, and i appreciate them, to add to my concern, it seems that the coil themselves are sliding back and forth as well in the upper seat. is there a "boot" or something like that i can add to the top of the coils. to answer the question about if i did the work myself, the answer is no, had it done at the shop, I didn't add any new track bar to the rear other than factory. I talked it over with the mechanic at the shop and he said that it is not a problem just an annoyance of sound, but claimed he'd call teraflex to see if they have a fix. It seems to me that for whatever reason my 2010 jk wasn't made to the same specs as earlier versions. The mechanic also said that the internal mount will eventually wear out, but it shouldn't cause any damage to the seat itself. don't know if that is true, since i'm still learning about all of this. maybe i should give teraflex a call myself to compare what they say to what the mechanic says on my next visit to see if i'm getting the el-screw-o.

any other suggestions would be appreciated, especially for anyone else who has had the teraflex lift installed on their jk (even better for those who had it installed on a 2010 model). Thanks everyone.
Rob

Quick Reply: Teraflex suspension lift