Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex steering stabilizer.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex steering stabilizer.

Replaced the steering stabilizer with a Teraflex. Used one of the bushings that came with the Teraflex stabilizer, pulled the other one from the stock unit. Was I suppose to use both stock bushings? Any tips on removing them? Basically drilled out the rubber to remove the bushing. Stock one was bent give me steering knock. After I replaced it, I still feel a really light knock in the steering at low speeds while turning. And does it matter which way the steering stabilizer is facing? Took me an hour to replace it.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I don't recall pulling bushings from the stock unit--I think your TF unit may be missing a bushing. I have my unit attached with the piston on the tie rod (i.e., to the driver's side). That's how the stock unit was oriented before it.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 AM
JK Freak

The knock may be your tie rod or drag link rotating on the ball joints when turning. I had this issue with mine before changing to the rough country dual ss. My single was mounted in such a way that it way forcing the tie rod to rotate when turning. Loosening and rotating the clamp mount on the tie rod fixed the problem.

Also take the chance to inspect your front axle trackbar mount if it is still stock. There is the possibility this mount is cracked and/or flexing; they have a tendency to do that
Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I don't recall pulling bushings from the stock unit--I think your TF unit may be missing a bushing. I have my unit attached with the piston on the tie rod (i.e., to the driver's side). That's how the stock unit was oriented before it.
I had that pictured in my head, but when I mounted it was reversed before I noticed.

Originally Posted by Alec
The knock may be your tie rod or drag link rotating on the ball joints when turning. I had this issue with mine before changing to the rough country dual ss. My single was mounted in such a way that it way forcing the tie rod to rotate when turning. Loosening and rotating the clamp mount on the tie rod fixed the problem.

Also take the chance to inspect your front axle trackbar mount if it is still stock. There is the possibility this mount is cracked and/or flexing; they have a tendency to do that
Will do. The knock is slight enough where if I have the windows down or the music volume to 15, it nonexistent. It's a jeep thing, amirite?

Quick Reply: Teraflex steering stabilizer.